[Fwd: [openhouseproject] Eight Open Goverment Data Principles]

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2007
      Also FYI.

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [openhouseproject] Eight Open Goverment Data Principles
      Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 15:25:59 -0500
      From: Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...>
      To: openhouseproject@...

      As I enjoy sadly non-free wi-fi access in Chicago Midway airport on my
      way back from the 'Open Government Working Group' conference in
      Sebastopol, CA, I thought I would report to this list one outcome of the
      conference. (The conference was organized by Carl Malamud, sponsored by
      the usual contenders, and a bunch of people on this list were there.)

      Here's our official group-written (read: laboriously edited)
      announcement, which is also at www.opengovdata.org (the www. is crucial
      for the moment):

      ---

      8 december 2007 - This weekend, 30 open government advocates gathered to
      develop a set of principles of open government data. The meeting, held
      in Sebastopol, California, was designed to develop a more robust
      understanding of why open government data is essential to democracy.

      The Internet is the public space of the modern world, and through it
      governments now have the opportunity to better understand the needs of
      their citizens and citizens may participate more fully in their
      government. Information becomes more valuable as it is shared, less
      valuable as it is hoarded. Open data promotes increased civil discourse,
      improved public welfare, and a more efficient use of public resources.

      The group is offering a set of fundamental principles for open
      government data. By embracing the eight principles, governments of the
      world can become more effective, transparent, and relevant to our lives.

      ---

      The principles can be used to determine whether government data can be
      considered "open", and it was suggested that we develop some sort of
      branding that we all can make use of to support and point to the
      principles. The principles are at:
      http://wiki.opengovdata.org/index.php/OpenDataPrinciples

      The discussion pages linked from some of the terms in the principles are
      editable wiki pages and do need to be fleshed out with suggestions from
      anyone.

      Also, Dan Newman started some discussion about how to mobilize citizens
      at large over transparency issues. I am eager to see how that discussion
      continues--- I expect some organizing will happen on the (open) mail
      list created at the conference (and linked from www.opengovdata.org;
      yes, yet another mail list...).

      Ok, back to waiting for my plane.

      Josh Tauberer