Re: [govtrack] Announcing OGDEX

  • John DeBruyn
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
      Hi Joshua:

      I just got over to http://ogdex.net for a quick look around.  Congratulations: What a robust wiki platform you have deployed for OGDEX.NET.

      You're off to a great start. OGDEX  has such great potential to meet all of your goals.  I have appended a copy of your announcement below.

      Let me suggest to the others on the list that they visit:

      and register, as I did this morning, and see all that Joshua has going over there.

      I will be back on OGDEX.NET this evening and probably have more to say here.

      John

      John DeBruyn Denver CO USA
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
        John DeBruyn wrote:
        > I just got over to http://ogdex.net for a quick look around.
        > Congratulations: What a robust wiki platform you have deployed for
        > OGDEX.NET.

        Oh, I should mention that I didn't set that up single-handedly. Chris
        Lundberg of Democracy in Action and Daniel Bennet of dotgov.info, and several others, were involved in the joint effort.

      • TML
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
          Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
          wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
          with such a beast?

          tom
          ::: www.xmiinc.com :::
          Web programming, content integration, and original music/sound design
          for Advertising and the Arts.
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
            Congratulations on OGDEX's debut! I'm in.

            I have a load of snippets on Pythia for retrieving XML chunks from the
            UniVerse DB. You're certainly welcome to any/all -- that's why
            they're there. If you find them useful, lift as you like or I can
            cross-post. Whatever I can do to assist, please call on me.

            Best!
            Bill
            http://pythia.progressivenation.net
            et al.

            --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack
            <tauberer@g...> wrote:
            (snip)
            > - Joshua Tauberer
            >
            > http://taubz.for.net
            >
            > ** Nothing Unreal Exists **
          • Joshua Tauberer
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
              TML wrote:
              > Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
              > wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
              > with such a beast?

              Yeah, and, for instance, I don't put much trust in Wikipedia. But, the
              raw data to be exchanged won't be in the wiki. The things that will be
              on the Wiki are just descriptions of standards, communication between
              visitors, and things like that.

              Bill wrote:
              > I have a load of snippets on Pythia for retrieving XML chunks from the
              > UniVerse DB.

              Great. You should post a link to it somewhere on the wiki where it
              makes sense.

            • Jeremy Dunck
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
                On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:31:35 -0500, TML <tlinder@...> wrote:

                > Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
                > wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
                > with such a beast?

                Yes, there are concerns... If you think of Wikipedia as a success,
                you're likely to discount those concerns.

                Wikis are editable by anyone, but they also have revision histories,
                which allows anyone to revert changes someone else makes.

                Which makes it pretty damage resistant. But it's conceivable that
                malicious users could introduce incorrect info, and it would not be
                caught by the other users.

                There's a raging debate going on over whether Wikipedia should be
                trusted as a second source. I don't want to get into that here.

                Short version: wikis are great for collaboration, and seem to do well
                in general. Whether they are trustworthy without independent
                verification on topics of politics and power is a separate question.

                As for me, I wouldn't tend to trust information on such topics from
                -any- single source. So to me, a wiki in this context is all upside.