Senate Committee Roles

  • Corey Gilmore
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
      It looks like committees.xml for the 110th (I haven't checked any
      others) only has the Chairman listed for Senate Committees, and no
      other roles. Is this by design, or is something being inadvertently
      left out when the file is generated?
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
        Corey Gilmore wrote:
        > It looks like committees.xml for the 110th (I haven't checked any
        > others) only has the Chairman listed for Senate Committees, and no
        > other roles. Is this by design, or is something being inadvertently
        > left out when the file is generated?

        Just to clarify for everyone- The file has entries for all members
        (though it's not been updated recently), but only has role attributes
        for the chairman, and perhaps lacks ranking member, etc. That's what you
        mean, right?

        If it's lacking other roles like vice chairman, ranking member, or
        whatever else there may be, it's not by design.

        Unfortunately, I don't have time to look into this. If you or anyone
        else would like to look at and possibly revise the screen-scraping
        script I use to get the info from the House and Senate websites, let me
        know and I'll post the file publicly.

      • Corey Gilmore
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007

          > Corey Gilmore wrote:
          > > It looks like committees.xml for the 110th (I haven't checked any
          > > others) only has the Chairman listed for Senate Committees, and no
          > > other roles. Is this by design, or is something being inadvertently
          > > left out when the file is generated?
          >
          > Just to clarify for everyone- The file has entries for all members
          > (though it's not been updated recently), but only has role attributes
          > for the chairman, and perhaps lacks ranking member, etc. That's what
          you
          > mean, right?
          >
          > If it's lacking other roles like vice chairman, ranking member, or
          > whatever else there may be, it's not by design.
          >
          > Unfortunately, I don't have time to look into this. If you or anyone
          > else would like to look at and possibly revise the screen-scraping
          > script I use to get the info from the House and Senate websites, let me
          > know and I'll post the file publicly.

          That's correct - for Senate Committees only the Chairman is listed,
          not the Ranking Member. or any other types. There are multiple role
          attributes for members of House Committee that seem to be correct.

          The current-committee-assignment element of a person in people.xml
          does have role attributes for the appropriate Senate and House
          members. Thad Cochran (300023) and the Senate Approps Committee
          (SSAP) is an example of a person with a Committee role attribute in
          people.xml, but not committees.xml. That difference is why I thought
          it might be related to the generation of committees.xml, not the scraping.

          If you'd like to post the scraping script I'll take a look at,
          although my ability to help will depend on the language you're using.
        • Tim McGhee
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
            On Dec 3, 2007 6:36 PM, Corey Gilmore <coreygilmoredotcom@...> wrote:

            > If you'd like to post the scraping script I'll take a look at,
            > although my ability to help will depend on the language you're using.

            Josh posted a lot of his scraping scripts a while back:
            http://razor.occams.info/code/repo/?/govtrack/gather/us

            (There's no archive of messages in the GovTrack Yahoo! Group?!)

            Tim
            11,138 days

            --
            Tim McGhee
            703-798-3227

            Psalm 90:12
            So teach us to number our days,
            That we may gain a heart of wisdom.
            http://numberyourdays.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2007
              Tim McGhee wrote:
              > On Dec 3, 2007 6:36 PM, Corey Gilmore <coreygilmoredotcom@...
              > <mailto:coreygilmoredotcom@...>> wrote:
              >
              > > If you'd like to post the scraping script I'll take a look at,
              > > although my ability to help will depend on the language you're using.
              >
              > Josh posted a lot of his scraping scripts a while back:
              > http://razor.occams.info/code/repo/?/govtrack/gather/us

              But not all of them, and not this one. I just added
              parse_committeemembership.pl which does the committee membership scraping.

              You can download the relevant files from Tim's link above. (Best to use
              Subversion to check out the whole directory at the svn:// URL shown at
              the top.)

              > (There's no archive of messages in the GovTrack Yahoo! Group?!)

              There is...