Research project: What do reps do all day?

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2007
      Occasionally I toss out some ideas to the list. One of these days I'll
      really spark someone's interest...

      Something that I think would be interesting would be to go through a
      representative's daily schedule and put the meetings into categories so
      we can see how often reps meet with lobbyists, their colleagues, attend
      committee meetings, etc. But, wait, you ask, how do we see their
      schedules? Well, there's at least one representative who makes her
      schedule public, Kirsten Gillibrand, and the Congresspedia folks
      diligently archive it:

      http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Kirsten_Gillibrand/Schedule

      This might be the first time such a large-scale analysis can be carried
      out, since nearly a whole year's schedule is now available.

    • Roger Williams
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2008

        > Occasionally I toss out some ideas to the list. One of these days
        I'll
        > really spark someone's interest...
        >
        > Something that I think would be interesting would be to go through
        > representative's daily schedule and put the meetings into
        categories so
        > we can see how often reps meet with lobbyists, their colleagues,
        attend
        > committee meetings, etc. But, wait, you ask, how do we see their
        > schedules? Well, there's at least one representative who makes her
        > schedule public, Kirsten Gillibrand, and the Congresspedia folks
        > diligently archive it:
        >
        > http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?
        title=Kirsten_Gillibrand/Schedule

        > This might be the first time such a large-scale analysis can be
        carried
        > out, since nearly a whole year's schedule is now available.

        Yeah, so I ended back up at this 2007 posting above. Pretty funny,
        since I was looking for this site I found about 4-5 months ago. It
        showed Obama's and Clinton's contributions by Month by Zip code. I
        was amazed at the SD of this data.

        Before I wanted to join that against some other data but I could not
        figure out how. Now when I try to find it again (because I am
        thinking about scaping) I end up over in CongressPedia. Immediately I
        wonder if it would be hard to get DBPedia to talk to CongressPedia.

        So maybe there are a lot of ideas out there. There sure is a lot of
        data and a helluva distributed join performance problem. I guess that
        is opportunity, right?

        Rgards..RogerW