New drupal module: uscongress

  • Rob Pierson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2007
      A drupal module was just released for grabbing legislative data and
      making group discussion pages for each bill.

      I could imagine it being very useful for organizations that want to
      allow people to comment on legislation, vote on bills, follow
      legislation by email, etc.

      The (opensource) module is being actively developed, and the
      developers would appreciate any contributions to the code.

      http://drupal.org/project/uscongress

      On 10/24/07, Neil Drumm <drumm@...> wrote:
      > On 10/24/07, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Kevin Henry wrote:
      > > > I think the easiest way to keep up to date is just to use rsync for
      > > > both the bill and vote directories - it will automatically check the
      > > > (file) dates and only download the files that have changed. See
      > > > http://www.govtrack.us/source.xpd.
      > >
      > > Right.
      > >
      > > For reference, the file data/us/110/votes.all.index.xml is in danger of
      > > being dropped. I dropped it in January, brought it back, and now I don't
      > > use it anymore so I will probably get rid of it again.
      >
      > Yes, I had been using this previously, but have removed dependence on it.
      >
      > Right now everything is run over HTTP. The main advantage is less to
      > set up and less that might fail. Moving to keeping a local copy on
      > rsync is possible, but a bit of effort and a different set of
      > advantages and disadvantages.
      >
      > I suppose an alternative might be parsing
      > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/110/rolls/ periodically.
      >
      > > > There are some files that don't seem to be managed by the rsync server
      > > > (like bills.technorati.xml), so for those I just use wget, which also
      > > > checks the date before downloading.
      > >
      > > That's weird. Everything in /data should work under rsync. Are you sure
      > > something is wrong there?
      > >
      > > > And if you're doing anything with the people data, make sure you're
      > > > also wgetting people.xml in your daily update. I forgot about this at
      > > > first and slowly got out of sync.
      > >
      > > Very true.
      >
      > We have this automated, but not scheduled. I was thinking of doing it
      > weekly.
      >
      > --
      > Neil Drumm
      > http://delocalizedham.com

    • Neil Drumm
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2007
        I actually built the same type of Drupal module-
        http://drupal.org/project/legislature. This module gets legislative
        data for http://maplight.org/ and http://themiddleclass.org/. I keep
        this module a bit more generic than the uscongress module, all it does
        is download legislative data into custom tables in your Drupal site's
        database. CCK integration or custom visualizations are left for your
        code to do what is best for your project.