Vector Image of USA

  • tay199
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm thinking it might be cool to create a little flash map of the USA
      with the congressional districts.

      http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/house/map.html

      Does anyone know where I can get a vector graphic of the USA with
      congressional districts?

      Is there a way to create a vector graphic with the shapefiles?

      Thanks much,

      Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2007
        tay199 wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm thinking it might be cool to create a little flash map of the USA
        > with the congressional districts.
        >
        > http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/house/map.html
        >
        > Does anyone know where I can get a vector graphic of the USA with
        > congressional districts?
        >
        > Is there a way to create a vector graphic with the shapefiles?

        Googling "convert shp svg" comes up with some things.

        If that doesn't work, post again --- I can easily create a file like that.

        By the way, if anyone is interested in making a mapping website, I have
        an interesting idea that I don't have even the beginnings of time to
        work on.

      • tay199
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2007
          Josh,

          I would be very happy to hear your ideas, and everyone's ideas.

          Below is a basic spec for what I'm building. It would be great to add
          your thoughts.

          Right now, I'm planning on having the following info by state/district.

          MouseOver Callout
          • State Name Senate (Party of Senate 1)/(Party of Senate 2)
          • District # (Party)
          • Legislation Sponsored # (Link)

          Looks Like
           California
           Senate (D) /(D)
           District 23 (D)
           Govit Members 42
           edit this

          OnClick Callout
          • California
          o 921,999 people
          o $352,088 Political Contributions
          o Senators
           Picture of Senator, Name, Party, Voting Bar
           Picture of Senator, Name, Party, Voting Bar
          o District # House of Representatives
           Picture of Rep, Name, Voting Bar
          o Votes Sponsored
          o Govit Members
           Govit Members
           399 California
           390 District 23
           Most Po pular Votes
        • Marjorie Roswell
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 27, 2007
            I tried something like this, and found that I couldn't create a congressional district map that had few enough nodes. Huge files I either created (from GIS) or purchased were just tooooo slow loading into flash.

            followthemoney.org is doing something with Congressional districts (soon to be released). A good group to watch. Their approach is ajax-based, rather than Flash-based.

            On 10/27/07, tay199 <tay199@...> wrote:

            Josh,

            I would be very happy to hear your ideas, and everyone's ideas.

            Below is a basic spec for what I'm building. It would be great to add
            your thoughts.

            Right now, I'm planning on having the following info by state/district.

            MouseOver Callout
            • State Name Senate (Party of Senate 1)/(Party of Senate 2)
            • District # (Party)
            • Legislation Sponsored # (Link)

            Looks Like
            &#61607; California
            &#61607; Senate (D) /(D)
            &#61607; District 23 (D)
            &#61607; Govit Members 42
            &#61607; edit this

            OnClick Callout
            • California
            o 921,999 people
            o $352,088 Political Contributions
            o Senators
            &#61607; Picture of Senator, Name, Party, Voting Bar
            &#61607; Picture of Senator, Name, Party, Voting Bar
            o District # House of Representatives
            &#61607; Picture of Rep, Name, Voting Bar
            o Votes Sponsored
            o Govit Members
            &#61607; Govit Members
            &#61607; 399 California