www.politicalbase.com

  • tay199
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2007
      Hi,
    • tay199
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2007
        Hi,

        Just found this site today, www.politicalbase.com. It was started by
        the founders of cnet.com.

        They seem to have a lot of data on contributions, and display it in
        some pretty fun ways "Company Money", "Rich and Famous".

        Also they have lots of user generated media, and most pages are editable.

        Last, they seem to have federal, state, and local ambitions.

        What are your thoughts?
      • Aron Pilhofer
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2007
          Interesting. Nice ideas in parts, a bit cluttered in others. I'm not
          sure over time the automation is going to hold up, but then there's so
          much going on probably any glitches will simply get lost in the noise of
          the site overall. I like their approach to user-generated content. I
          think the "ratings" page is ridiculous.

          The company money section is paper thin and highly misleading -- just a
          free text search. For ex., look at NBC, then search for national
          broadcasting company. Then notice the contributions intermingled from
          folks who work at local tv stations that are NBC affiliates.

          The rich and famous section is pretty cute, but, sorry, whoop de doo.

          As a profit-making venture, it's not bad. I think they believe there is
          more Internet advertising money out there than I probably do.
          (Particularly past 2008.) But then again, they are a lot smarter and
          richer than I am, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.