Hello

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13, 2005
      Hi all,

      I've been lurking at the sidelines for a bit. Seems as if there are
      quite a few of us interested in storing and sharing some bignasty
      troves of research material. I'm also gathering and cleaning public
      information in a project at http://pythia.progressivenation.net .
      That's about 2 months old now, so I'm still adding queries and
      features as fast as I get time.

      Hope to be a contributing part of this growing network of Open Source
      Researchers and I'm looking forward to the discussions on data exchanges.

      Best,
      Bill
    • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
        Now seems like as good a time as any to announce OGDEX, the Open
        Government Data Exchange, at www.ogdex.net.

        The site, which is very obviously in its infancy, is a community-run
        wiki that I hope will become the central hub for people interested in
        open access to information about the government. The goals of OGDEX
        are, from the site:

        * To promote the free and open sharing of machine-readable data
        related to the U.S. government, and to create a semantic web of
        political information,
        * To develop open standards for storing information to make sharing
        and meshing data easy, and
        * To foster collaboration among people and government institutions
        who share these goals.

        Since the site is a wiki, add any info. to it that you think is
        relevant. Add any relevant projects that you're working on, or ideas
        for projects on the ideas page, or just add OGDEX to your bookmarks and
        check back from time to time as the site grows.

      • John DeBruyn
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
          Hi Joshua:

          I just got over to http://ogdex.net for a quick look around.  Congratulations: What a robust wiki platform you have deployed for OGDEX.NET.

          You're off to a great start. OGDEX  has such great potential to meet all of your goals.  I have appended a copy of your announcement below.

          Let me suggest to the others on the list that they visit:

          and register, as I did this morning, and see all that Joshua has going over there.

          I will be back on OGDEX.NET this evening and probably have more to say here.

          John

          John DeBruyn Denver CO USA

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
            John DeBruyn wrote:
            > I just got over to http://ogdex.net for a quick look around.
            > Congratulations: What a robust wiki platform you have deployed for
            > OGDEX.NET.

            Oh, I should mention that I didn't set that up single-handedly. Chris
            Lundberg of Democracy in Action and Daniel Bennet of dotgov.info, and several others, were involved in the joint effort.

          • TML
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
              Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
              wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
              with such a beast?

              tom
              ::: www.xmiinc.com :::
              Web programming, content integration, and original music/sound design
              for Advertising and the Arts.
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
                Congratulations on OGDEX's debut! I'm in.

                I have a load of snippets on Pythia for retrieving XML chunks from the
                UniVerse DB. You're certainly welcome to any/all -- that's why
                they're there. If you find them useful, lift as you like or I can
                cross-post. Whatever I can do to assist, please call on me.

                Best!
                Bill
                http://pythia.progressivenation.net
                et al.

                --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack
                <tauberer@g...> wrote:
                (snip)
                > - Joshua Tauberer
                >
                > http://taubz.for.net
                >
                > ** Nothing Unreal Exists **
              • Joshua Tauberer
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
                  TML wrote:
                  > Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
                  > wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
                  > with such a beast?

                  Yeah, and, for instance, I don't put much trust in Wikipedia. But, the
                  raw data to be exchanged won't be in the wiki. The things that will be
                  on the Wiki are just descriptions of standards, communication between
                  visitors, and things like that.

                  Bill wrote:
                  > I have a load of snippets on Pythia for retrieving XML chunks from the
                  > UniVerse DB.

                  Great. You should post a link to it somewhere on the wiki where it
                  makes sense.

                • Jeremy Dunck
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
                    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:31:35 -0500, TML <tlinder@...> wrote:

                    > Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
                    > wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
                    > with such a beast?

                    Yes, there are concerns... If you think of Wikipedia as a success,
                    you're likely to discount those concerns.

                    Wikis are editable by anyone, but they also have revision histories,
                    which allows anyone to revert changes someone else makes.

                    Which makes it pretty damage resistant. But it's conceivable that
                    malicious users could introduce incorrect info, and it would not be
                    caught by the other users.

                    There's a raging debate going on over whether Wikipedia should be
                    trusted as a second source. I don't want to get into that here.

                    Short version: wikis are great for collaboration, and seem to do well
                    in general. Whether they are trustworthy without independent
                    verification on topics of politics and power is a separate question.

                    As for me, I wouldn't tend to trust information on such topics from
                    -any- single source. So to me, a wiki in this context is all upside.