Re: [govtrack] xml data

  • Ed Summers
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
      Thanks for the info Joshua. Your service is really very nice. Just out
      of curiosity how hairy are your Thomas crawlers/parsers? You used Mono
      for all of it? Is source code available?

      That said, I highly doubt it would be worth the effort to replicate this
      parsing work. A small group of friends were interested in reproducing
      theyworkforyou.com for the US audience.

      One last question, what do you use to generate those voting maps?

      //Ed
    • Joshua Tauberer
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2004
        Ed Summers wrote:
        > Thanks for the info Joshua. Your service is really very nice. Just out
        > of curiosity how hairy are your Thomas crawlers/parsers? You used Mono
        > for all of it? Is source code available?

        The crawlers are written in Perl. They're pretty hairy. I haven't
        posted the source for that, and I probably won't for some time.

        > That said, I highly doubt it would be worth the effort to replicate this
        > parsing work. A small group of friends were interested in reproducing
        > theyworkforyou.com for the US audience.

        Right, I hadn't seen that site when I started working on this, but that
        was definitely my goal too. There's still a lot of ground I haven't
        covered, so there are still aspects of all of this that would be worth
        someone undertaking. (Better voting record comparisons, contacting
        congress, public discussion of bills/representatives, more statistical
        analyses, comprehensive biographical data...)

        I definitely encourage you to stick with your original motivation to do
        something -- if you start to work on something, I'd be interested in
        following how it goes. And since all of GovTrack's xml data is
        available for anyone to use, you can skip the parsing part.

        > One last question, what do you use to generate those voting maps?

        GMT: http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/

        It was the first thing I came across that would do it. Not easy to use
        at all, and it only outputs postscript, so I pass the output through
        ghostscript. Plus I have a database mapping congressional districts to
        latitute/longitudes. I don't remember where I found it, but I can send
        it to you if you'd like.

      • Wilsongreg
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2004
          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Tauberer <tauberer@f...> wrote:

          <snip>

          this looks like a great tool. i look forward to investigating it
          further. thanks for your work!

          > Plus I have a database mapping congressional districts to
          > latitute/longitudes. I don't remember where I found it, but I can send
          > it to you if you'd like.

          do you have a similar mapping of zip codes to congressional districts?

          thanks!

          greg wilson

          > --
          > - Joshua Tauberer
          >
          > http://taubz.for.net
          >
          > ** Nothing Unreal Exists **
        • Joshua Tauberer
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2004
            Wilsongreg wrote:
            > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Tauberer <tauberer@f...> wrote:
            > > Plus I have a database mapping congressional districts to
            > > latitute/longitudes. I don't remember where I found it, but I can send
            > > it to you if you'd like.
            >
            > do you have a similar mapping of zip codes to congressional districts?

            Heh, yeah, it's actually all part of the same database. I've posted it
            at the address below, but note that it's going to be obsolete in January.

            http://www.govtrack.us/data/misc/cities.csv

            The columns are mostly evident: state, city, congressional district,
            something weird with the zip code, alternate names, zipcode, area code,
            latitute, longitude.

            I don't have a database yet with the redistricting for 2005. (If you
            happen to come across one, let me know.)