Data changes

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2007
      Two quick notes about data changes:

      In bill XML files, Senate votes on cloture motions had been parsed as
      "vote" nodes since failed cloture motions usually mean a bill's death.
      This is technically not true. They are now parsed as vote-aux nodes
      (along with conference report votes) and the type attribute indicates
      whether it is a cloture vote. (Existing bill files are in the process of
      being updated for this change now.)

      Also, I've now corrected the Recent Votes feed on the site to use my
      MySQL index of votes, rather than the votes.all.index.xml file which was
      only getting updated twice a day (following a recent change). That means
      that I will probably want to discontinue the votes.all.index.xml file to
      simplify things on my end.

    • Neil Drumm
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2007
        On 9/20/07, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
        > Two quick notes about data changes:
        >
        > In bill XML files, Senate votes on cloture motions had been parsed as
        > "vote" nodes since failed cloture motions usually mean a bill's death.
        > This is technically not true. They are now parsed as vote-aux nodes
        > (along with conference report votes) and the type attribute indicates
        > whether it is a cloture vote. (Existing bill files are in the process of
        > being updated for this change now.)

        Do you have an example of a bill which has been updated? How is the
        progress on this?

        > Also, I've now corrected the Recent Votes feed on the site to use my
        > MySQL index of votes, rather than the votes.all.index.xml file which was
        > only getting updated twice a day (following a recent change). That means
        > that I will probably want to discontinue the votes.all.index.xml file to
        > simplify things on my end.

        What is the best way to find every vote associated with a bill? I have
        vote actions and amendments working. I think there are others missing.

        For example, the vote listed at
        http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes.xpd?bill=s108-2061 is listed as
        an action element in
        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/108/bills/s2061.xml, but does not have
        a roll attribute.

        --
        Neil Drumm
        http://delocalizedham.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2007
          Neil Drumm wrote:
          > On 9/20/07, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
          >> Two quick notes about data changes:
          >>
          >> In bill XML files, Senate votes on cloture motions had been parsed as
          >> "vote" nodes since failed cloture motions usually mean a bill's death.
          >> This is technically not true. They are now parsed as vote-aux nodes
          >> (along with conference report votes) and the type attribute indicates
          >> whether it is a cloture vote. (Existing bill files are in the process of
          >> being updated for this change now.)
          >
          > Do you have an example of a bill which has been updated?

          S. 1257. But, I missed the precise language in the bill you mentioned
          (S. 2061/108: "Cloture motion on the motion to proceed") which is why
          that didn't get parsed right in the new way. All of those bills are
          parsed now as vote-aux too.

          Plus it looks like I'm only parsing failed cloture motion votes...

          >> Also, I've now corrected the Recent Votes feed on the site to use my
          >> MySQL index of votes, rather than the votes.all.index.xml file which was
          >> only getting updated twice a day (following a recent change). That means
          >> that I will probably want to discontinue the votes.all.index.xml file to
          >> simplify things on my end.
          >
          > What is the best way to find every vote associated with a bill? I have
          > vote actions and amendments working. I think there are others missing.
          >
          > For example, the vote listed at
          > http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes.xpd?bill=s108-2061 is listed as
          > an action element in
          > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/108/bills/s2061.xml, but does not have
          > a roll attribute.

          It's easier for me to parse what bill is related to a vote (which is
          done reliably) than what vote is related to a bill, because the language
          in THOMAS varies between vote types. So for a complete list, you have to
          start from the votes angle.

          Go to a bill page, follow the Show All Related Votes link (relatively
          new), and on the votes page use the XML Download link at the top, which
          is basically a REST API for getting the votes related to a bill.