Site outages and status

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2007
      If you’ve used GovTrack at all lately, you’ve probably noticed the
      chronic outages that have grown considerably worse over the last few
      months as traffic has increased (with some 8,000+ people visiting daily
      now). There have been a few independent problems.

      One was a software bug in the Mono platform (mono-project.com) that I
      use to build the site. I believe I fixed that bug in Mono today (not
      single-handedly, but...), and so the constant outages ought to
      disappear. There was/is another bug in Mono that causes the website to
      absorb all of the system memory over time, and the Mono guys were able
      to set up a work-around, and that's taken care of problem two.

      The third issue was that the machine running the site simply couldn’t
      keep up with all of the new traffic, and so today I’ve bought a newer
      and faster server. Over the next few weeks I’ll move the site to its new
      home, and that will probably entail some outages, and it's possible data
      will be unavailable at times if I mess things up in the process. If I'm
      lucky I'll be able to make it a very smooth transition -- wish me luck.

      Maybe I'll do a mini re-launch when Congress returns to celebrate how
      much more not-crashing the website will be.

    • Dale Moore

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Moore" <DaleEMoore@...> wrote:

          > http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l is a nice way to backup a HD and
          restore
          > it to another. It might be a simple way for you to bring up the new
          HW. Good
          > luck!

          Way too risky for me, plus my new ISP reported problems with Fedora
          Core 7 on their sever hardware, so they suggested a change in distro
          anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though.

          - Josh

          > On 8/8/07, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
          >
          > > ... The third issue was that the machine running the site simply
          couldn't
          > > keep up with all of the new traffic, and so today I've bought a newer
          > > and faster server. Over the next few weeks I'll move the site to
          its new
          > > home, and that will probably entail some outages, and it's
          possible data
          > > will be unavailable at times if I mess things up in the process.
          If I'm
          > > lucky I'll be able to make it a very smooth transition -- wish me
          luck.

        • Joshua Tauberer
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 23, 2007
            Just a quick status note for those rsync'ing data from me- GovTrack is
            now moved over to my new server. However, the data-gathering scripts
            haven't been moved over yet so no new data is being scraped... and it
            just occurred to me that I probably have to set something up for rsync
            to work on the new server. Hopefully it'll all be working before
            congress comes back (from la la land) in a few weeks.

            - Josh