Pledge your vote for transparency

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2007
      Hi, all.

      Going in a slightly new direction, I am wondering if you all would join
      me in making a pledge regarding transparency in Congress. Specifically,
      if you could pledge to vote for your current representatives should they
      decide to formally support just one of the many recommendations of the
      Open House Project, please sign the pledge here:

      http://www.govtrack.us/action/openhousepledge.xpd

      That page is also (mostly) pasted below for your convenience.

      - Josh

      Pledge Your Vote for Transparency

      Send a message to Congress about how important government transparency
      is to you by signing the pledge below.

      The Open House Project has made comprehensive suggestions on how the
      House can use the Internet better to promote transparency. If
      transparency is important enough to you that you could pledge your votes
      in the next election to your current representative or senators if they
      take a stand to support transparency, consider signing this pledge:

      I will pledge my vote to my senator & representative in 2008 if they
      vote for or sponsor a transparency initiative recommended by The Open
      House Project but only if 10,000 other active citizens will do the same.

      (The pledge is a personal initiative on my part, though I helped draft
      the OHP recommendations.)

      The OHP recommendations are summarized on this checklist (or you can
      read our full report here). The recommendations are nonpartisan, some
      noncontroversial, and involve streaming video, lobbying disclosure,
      archiving, committee and member website improvements, legislative
      databases, and making a lasting commitment to using the Internet to
      promote transparency.

      If you can pledge your vote around transparency, sign the pledge. I'm
      looking for 10,000 supporters to send a strong message!

      Some ground-rules for what counts as a member of Congress supporting OHP
      transparency initiatives: Past support on the big ethics reform bills
      (S. 1, H.R. 2316, H.Res. 169) doesn't count toward the pledge.
      Cosponsoring any of the bills below, or introducing a new bill that
      would implement one of our recommendations, is what counts, and once
      your senator or representative does that, you are pledging your vote to
      him or her.

      (And as a final note, obviously if your representative does something
      really, really stupid between now and the elections, no one is going to
      hold you to your pledge if you want to vote for someone else.)

      (page snipped here)