some notes

  • Nathan Hawks
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2007
      Rather than wait till I make time for a real mini-proposal, I'll just
      throw some stuff out there.

      BTW, thanks Taylor and Andrew for the welcome.

      scratchList: A scheduled-entry list of notes to serve as a stub for a
      legislative entry. CSPAN-watchers can take notes and create threads.
      Pros: social networking features (moderating, +1/-1, tagging,
      dupe-tagging) could bubble-up the research before the bill text hits
      thomas. Could achieve largely by modifying bill overview UI and
      extending the bill wiki.
      Cons: data bloat, might need to find limitations to avoid evolving
      into a flamewar venue

      issueTrack: Extend the categories portal so that:
      - It can serve as a widget
      - Users can create tags that span categories
      - Tags and categories have public and user wikis
      - User wikis can be voted/rated and bubble-up
      - Wiki owners can invite contributors and editors
      - issueTrack main widget shows a user-chosen array ("track this issue"
      & "track this issue-related group")
      - issueTrack main widget looks like del.icio.us right-hand user pane
      (with main site categories serving as bundles, and with user wikis,
      tracked categories & tags, as a merged tagcloud (maybe some css to
      distinguish here)
      - issueTrack main widget optionally resides on every page for that
      user, probably need dhtml resizing here (max/restore/min like a window)

      buddy lists.

      That's all that's flying out of me at the moment, back to other stuff.
      Obviously it would be a big priority to avoid not only the digg effect
      but also the indymedia effect (the former being a subculturally-
      dominated blogs-of-hate venue, the latter being either a ghost town or a
      feed that occasionally sees porn and hate speech on its front page).

      The other priorities, as you can tell, are fewer clicks to get anywhere,
      more social contribution, & the "for dummies" factor.

      Nathan