I've Got An Ugly Map... Can You Help?

  • tay199
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26 1:53 PM
      Hello,

      Alaska is taking over my map!!!
      http://72.32.197.213/govit/Pages/search/mapchartforgovleader.aspx

      I'd really like to decrease the size of Alaska, and move Alaska and
      Hawaii under the mainland.

      My boundary files are from... http://www.census.gov/geo/www/cob/cd110.html

      Can anyone help me by telling me how I can adjust the size and
      locations of Alaska and Hawaii?

      Thank you,

      Taylor
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26 8:25 PM
        tay199 wrote:
        > Alaska is taking over my map!!!
        > http://72.32.197.213/govit/Pages/search/mapchartforgovleader.aspx
        >
        > I'd really like to decrease the size of Alaska, and move Alaska and
        > Hawaii under the mainland.
        >
        > My boundary files are from... http://www.census.gov/geo/www/cob/cd110.html
        >
        > Can anyone help me by telling me how I can adjust the size and
        > locations of Alaska and Hawaii?

        You'll need to choose a better map projection (better than just using
        lat/long as x/y, for sure), and possibly render Alaska (etc.) from a
        different point of view than the rest, if the projection you choose has
        such a notion. For my vote maps I use:

        http://mathworld.wolfram.com/AlbersEqual-AreaConicProjection.html