Help Wanted at CritterWatch.org

  • Bryan L. Fordham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2007
      As I announced recently, I'm currently working on a project at
      www.critterwatch.org. The overall goal is to provide people with
      up-to-date information on how their state represenatives and senators
      are voting, as well as data on legislation. Long term goals include an
      API to make this information available to other projects.

      The near term goal, however, is to load all the data for all 50 states
      into the database, and keep it updated. That's where you can come in:

      If you're interested in helping this project by writing some scripts to
      get the information for your state, please reply to me off-list. I
      haven't worked everything out just yet, but essentially you'd be
      screen-scraping your state legislature's website and putting the
      information into a standard format, which would be loaded into the database.

      The backend is written in Python, using the most excellent framework
      Django (www.djangoproject.com).

      Another way to help is to suggest new features. You can also be my BFF
      if you submit ideas on how to make the interface look better.

      As always, any feedback at all is appreciated.

      Thanks
      --B
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2007
        Bryan L. Fordham wrote:
        > As I announced recently, I'm currently working on a project at
        > www.critterwatch.org. The overall goal is to provide people with
        > up-to-date information on how their state represenatives and senators
        > are voting, as well as data on legislation. Long term goals include an
        > API to make this information available to other projects.

        That's great!

        You've gotten to a great start, and keep us posted.

        (I hope to write more later on, but lately I've been a bit overloaded
        with other things.)