Are you using GovTrack data?

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2007
      Hey, all.

      If you're using GovTrack data, or plan to, could you let me know?

      In a short presentation I'll be making in a week (more on that in about
      a week), I'd like to run off a list of ways people are using GovTrack
      data, or ideas for using GovTrack data that people have in the works,
      etc. (No, the audience is not the type to steal anyone's ideas.)

      Also, I'd like to start a links page on GovTrack to other sites using
      GovTrack data.

      Obviously I know about the sites that have been mentioned on this list,
      but I'm fishing around in case no one's told me about a site yet, and
      even if I know about your site (i.e. Andrew's) it wouldn't hurt to drop
      me an email anyway and let me know:

      The current title of the project
      The URL, and if it's not public yet, when you expect it to be public
      What data you use from GovTrack (and elsewhere, if it's interesting)
      What the site does or will do and why it's important (i.e. selling
      points that I can use to convince people that having a database of
      legislative information can be put to use in a multitude of useful ways)

      Even if the use of data is for private use, or is
      not-for-public-knowledge, or whatever, I'd still like to know about it.

      Thanks all.

    • Kevin Henry
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2007
        Hey Josh, et al.

        I put up a site a few days ago: Where a Bill becomes a Law
        (http://www.whereabill.org/). It's basically a clone of Google's
        driving directions, except that it tracks the steps a bill has taken
        through Congress. It's meant to be sort of a fun and educational way
        of seeing a bill's history. It's still rudimentary, but you will get
        the idea.

        I am using:
        - the bill status data (/data/us/*/bills/*.xml)
        - the roll vote data (/data/us/*/rolls/*.xml)
        - the people database (/data/us/110/repstats/people.xml)
        - the popularity listing (/data/us/bills.technorati.xml)
        - the search service (www.govtrack.us/congress/billsearch_api.xpd)

        Thanks, Josh, for providing the data.

        Kevin
      • Joshua Tauberer
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2007
          That's fantastic! I can't wait to mention it next week.

          - Josh

          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Henry" <k@...> wrote:

          > Hey Josh, et al.
          >
          > I put up a site a few days ago: Where a Bill becomes a Law
          > (http://www.whereabill.org/). It's basically a clone of Google's
          > driving directions, except that it tracks the steps a bill has taken
          > through Congress. It's meant to be sort of a fun and educational way
          > of seeing a bill's history. It's still rudimentary, but you will get
          > the idea.
          >
          > I am using:
          > - the bill status data (/data/us/*/bills/*.xml)
          > - the roll vote data (/data/us/*/rolls/*.xml)
          > - the people database (/data/us/110/repstats/people.xml)
          > - the popularity listing (/data/us/bills.technorati.xml)
          > - the search service (www.govtrack.us/congress/billsearch_api.xpd)
          >
          > Thanks, Josh, for providing the data.
          >

          > Kevin

        • Marjorie Roswell
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2007
            Now that I know I'm using your data, here's what I'm trying to do.

            I wanted to create a flash interface similar to what I did here:

            http://margieroswell.com/images/map2006.html
             or here:
            http://www.margieroswell.com/farmbill/agcommittee/

            But I actually wasn't successful bringing a congressional file into Flash. Too much detail. Flash came to almost a grinding halt.

            My hope was to show all the committees that have something to do with the Farm Bill.

            I'm defaulting to the state level, rather a disappointment. And trying to get to know XML and Actionscript well enough to do it.

            (Is there a way to add more committee assignments to that data? I noticed, for starters, that only the Senators have assignments. And there are no subcommittee listings.)

            Margie
            http://www.FarmBillPrimer.org/
            http://www.PublicHealthAction.org

              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2007
                Kevin,
                Thanks and keep it up! I do some training on "how a bill becomes a law" and this certainly will make my presentations a little less dull! Plus, it is a great way to show people how the THOMAS data is being reused in creative ways.

                Peggy
                www.garvinconsulting.com