Re: Site Feedback

  • tay199
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2007
      The procedural votes is tough. The votes will sort by the most active.
      This means the site will rely knowledgeable active members to get the
      voting activity started.

      The esoteric nature of government is also tough. Need tools to help
      people help each other out with the legislation. Right now I've got
      "Comments" for the bills. Also hoping groups and friends can help out.

      I'll get a working beta up soon to show you how it's working.

      Thanks for the input.

      Taylor

      --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Tim McGhee" <timtom@...> wrote:

      > That's a very interesting idea. It sounds like a Fantasy Congress
      kind of
      > site!
      >
      > It will be interesting to see how you/people handle a lot of the
      procedural
      > votes that happen. Most people have no idea what most of the votes are
      > about.
      >
      > At first glance, your "fun" design looks simpler than the "simple"
      design.
      > I can't tell exactly how you have it set up, but I would mention
      that I'm
      > not a fan of hiding primary functions behind mouseover requirements.
      > Simplicity is good.
      >
      > Tim
      > 10,914 days <http://numberyourdays.com/?d=June+5+1977>
      >

      > On 4/23/07, tay199 <tay199@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I'm working on a site that allows you to vote on active legislation.
      > > When you vote, you will be able to send your vote to your
      > > representatives. You'll also be able to keep a running tally of how
      > > you voted vs. your representatives. There will also be some social
      > > networking tools as well.
      > >
      > > I'm currently working on the design. I'm debating between "simple" vs.
      > > "fun". Which do you like better?
      > >
      > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/69723062@N00/
      > >
      > > Thanks for your thoughts and inspiration.
      > >
      > > Taylor
      > >

      > --
      > Tim McGhee
      > 703-798-3227
      > 38.8205, -77.0445
      > http://tim.mtopgroup.com
      >
      > Psalm 90:12
      > So teach us to number our days,
      > That we may gain a heart of wisdom.
      > http://numberyourdays.com

    • Chris Joyner
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
        Dude, I LOVE that idea!!! If there's a way to incorporate a little
        of both fun and simplicity I'd vote for that. However, for me, the
        bottom line would be that it serves specifically the purpose
        detailed in your summary here. I'm really looking forward to being
        actively involved in this when you have it up and running.
        Chris

        --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "tay199" <tay199@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm working on a site that allows you to vote on active
        legislation.
        > When you vote, you will be able to send your vote to your
        > representatives. You'll also be able to keep a running tally of how
        > you voted vs. your representatives. There will also be some social
        > networking tools as well.
        >
        > I'm currently working on the design. I'm debating between "simple"
        vs.
        > "fun". Which do you like better?
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/69723062@N00/
        >
        > Thanks for your thoughts and inspiration.
        >
        > Taylor

      • Aron Pilhofer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
          Yah, ditto. That sounds like a really great project. I'd vote for
          simple, but engaging. Don't make it silly or goofy. Fun is OK, but these
          are serious issues and should be treated seriously (especially if you
          want members to take it seriously).

          Chris Joyner wrote:

          > Dude, I LOVE that idea!!! If there's a way to incorporate a little
          > of both fun and simplicity I'd vote for that. However, for me, the
          > bottom line would be that it serves specifically the purpose
          > detailed in your summary here. I'm really looking forward to being
          > actively involved in this when you have it up and running.
          > Chris
          >
          > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com <mailto:govtrack%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "tay199" <tay199@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I'm working on a site that allows you to vote on active
          > legislation.
          > > When you vote, you will be able to send your vote to your
          > > representatives. You'll also be able to keep a running tally of how
          > > you voted vs. your representatives. There will also be some social
          > > networking tools as well.
          > >
          > > I'm currently working on the design. I'm debating between "simple"
          > vs.
          > > "fun". Which do you like better?
          > >
          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/69723062@N00/
          > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/69723062@N00/>
          > >
          > > Thanks for your thoughts and inspiration.
          > >
          > > Taylor

        • Chris Joyner
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
            I agree.  "Engaging" is a great place to start.  This is gonna be awesome.  About the only other type thing of which I'm aware is http://www.DownsizeDC.org which is great but the more opportunities for Individuals to "lobby" Our representatives, the better.