Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Site Feedback

Expand Messages
  • tay199
    Hello, I m working on a site that allows you to vote on active legislation. When you vote, you will be able to send your vote to your representatives. You ll
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2007
      Hello,

      I'm working on a site that allows you to vote on active legislation.
      When you vote, you will be able to send your vote to your
      representatives. You'll also be able to keep a running tally of how
      you voted vs. your representatives. There will also be some social
      networking tools as well.

      I'm currently working on the design. I'm debating between "simple" vs.
      "fun". Which do you like better?

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/69723062@N00/

      Thanks for your thoughts and inspiration.

      Taylor
    • Tim McGhee
      That s a very interesting idea. It sounds like a Fantasy Congress kind of site! It will be interesting to see how you/people handle a lot of the procedural
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2007
        That's a very interesting idea.  It sounds like a Fantasy Congress kind of site!

        It will be interesting to see how you/people handle a lot of the procedural votes that happen.  Most people have no idea what most of the votes are about.

        At first glance, your "fun" design looks simpler than the "simple" design.  I can't tell exactly how you have it set up, but I would mention that I'm not a fan of hiding primary functions behind mouseover requirements.  Simplicity is good.

        Tim
        10,914 days


        On 4/23/07, tay199 <tay199@... > wrote:

        Hello,

        I'm working on a site that allows you to vote on active legislation.
        When you vote, you will be able to send your vote to your
        representatives. You'll also be able to keep a running tally of how
        you voted vs. your representatives. There will also be some social
        networking tools as well.

        I'm currently working on the design. I'm debating between "simple" vs.
        "fun". Which do you like better?

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/69723062@N00/

        Thanks for your thoughts and inspiration.

        Taylor




        --
        Tim McGhee
        703-798-3227
        38.8205, -77.0445
        http://tim.mtopgroup.com

        Psalm 90:12
        So teach us to number our days,
        That we may gain a heart of wisdom.  
        http://numberyourdays.com
      • tay199
        The procedural votes is tough. The votes will sort by the most active. This means the site will rely knowledgeable active members to get the voting activity
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2007
          The procedural votes is tough. The votes will sort by the most active.
          This means the site will rely knowledgeable active members to get the
          voting activity started.

          The esoteric nature of government is also tough. Need tools to help
          people help each other out with the legislation. Right now I've got
          "Comments" for the bills. Also hoping groups and friends can help out.


          I'll get a working beta up soon to show you how it's working.

          Thanks for the input.


          Taylor




          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Tim McGhee" <timtom@...> wrote:
          >
          > That's a very interesting idea. It sounds like a Fantasy Congress
          kind of
          > site!
          >
          > It will be interesting to see how you/people handle a lot of the
          procedural
          > votes that happen. Most people have no idea what most of the votes are
          > about.
          >
          > At first glance, your "fun" design looks simpler than the "simple"
          design.
          > I can't tell exactly how you have it set up, but I would mention
          that I'm
          > not a fan of hiding primary functions behind mouseover requirements.
          > Simplicity is good.
          >
          > Tim
          > 10,914 days <http://numberyourdays.com/?d=June+5+1977>
          >
          >
          > On 4/23/07, tay199 <tay199@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I'm working on a site that allows you to vote on active legislation.
          > > When you vote, you will be able to send your vote to your
          > > representatives. You'll also be able to keep a running tally of how
          > > you voted vs. your representatives. There will also be some social
          > > networking tools as well.
          > >
          > > I'm currently working on the design. I'm debating between "simple" vs.
          > > "fun". Which do you like better?
          > >
          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/69723062@N00/
          > >
          > > Thanks for your thoughts and inspiration.
          > >
          > > Taylor
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
          >
          >
          > --
          > Tim McGhee
          > 703-798-3227
          > 38.8205, -77.0445
          > http://tim.mtopgroup.com
          >
          > Psalm 90:12
          > So teach us to number our days,
          > That we may gain a heart of wisdom.
          > http://numberyourdays.com
          >
        • Chris Joyner
          Dude, I LOVE that idea!!! If there s a way to incorporate a little of both fun and simplicity I d vote for that. However, for me, the bottom line would be
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
            Dude, I LOVE that idea!!! If there's a way to incorporate a little
            of both fun and simplicity I'd vote for that. However, for me, the
            bottom line would be that it serves specifically the purpose
            detailed in your summary here. I'm really looking forward to being
            actively involved in this when you have it up and running.
            Chris

            --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "tay199" <tay199@...> wrote:
            >
            > Hello,
            >
            > I'm working on a site that allows you to vote on active
            legislation.
            > When you vote, you will be able to send your vote to your
            > representatives. You'll also be able to keep a running tally of how
            > you voted vs. your representatives. There will also be some social
            > networking tools as well.
            >
            > I'm currently working on the design. I'm debating between "simple"
            vs.
            > "fun". Which do you like better?
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/69723062@N00/
            >
            > Thanks for your thoughts and inspiration.
            >
            > Taylor
            >
          • Aron Pilhofer
            Yah, ditto. That sounds like a really great project. I d vote for simple, but engaging. Don t make it silly or goofy. Fun is OK, but these are serious issues
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
              Yah, ditto. That sounds like a really great project. I'd vote for
              simple, but engaging. Don't make it silly or goofy. Fun is OK, but these
              are serious issues and should be treated seriously (especially if you
              want members to take it seriously).

              Chris Joyner wrote:
              >
              > Dude, I LOVE that idea!!! If there's a way to incorporate a little
              > of both fun and simplicity I'd vote for that. However, for me, the
              > bottom line would be that it serves specifically the purpose
              > detailed in your summary here. I'm really looking forward to being
              > actively involved in this when you have it up and running.
              > Chris
              >
              > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com <mailto:govtrack%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "tay199" <tay199@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > I'm working on a site that allows you to vote on active
              > legislation.
              > > When you vote, you will be able to send your vote to your
              > > representatives. You'll also be able to keep a running tally of how
              > > you voted vs. your representatives. There will also be some social
              > > networking tools as well.
              > >
              > > I'm currently working on the design. I'm debating between "simple"
              > vs.
              > > "fun". Which do you like better?
              > >
              > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/69723062@N00/
              > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/69723062@N00/>
              > >
              > > Thanks for your thoughts and inspiration.
              > >
              > > Taylor
              > >
              >
              >
            • Chris Joyner
              I agree. Engaging is a great place to start. This is gonna be awesome. About the only other type thing of which I m aware is http://www.DownsizeDC.org
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
                I agree.  "Engaging" is a great place to start.  This is gonna be awesome.  About the only other type thing of which I'm aware is http://www.DownsizeDC.org which is great but the more opportunities for Individuals to "lobby" Our representatives, the better.

                Aron Pilhofer <apilhofer@...> wrote:
                Yah, ditto. That sounds like a really great project. I'd vote for
                simple, but engaging. Don't make it silly or goofy. Fun is OK, but these
                are serious issues and should be treated seriously (especially if you
                want members to take it seriously).

                Chris Joyner wrote:
                >
                > Dude, I LOVE that idea!!! If there's a way to incorporate a little
                > of both fun and simplicity I'd vote for that. However, for me, the
                > bottom line would be that it serves specifically the purpose
                > detailed in your summary here. I'm really looking forward to being
                > actively involved in this when you have it up and running.
                > Chris
                >
                > --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com <mailto:govtrack% 40yahoogroups. com>,
                > "tay199" <tay199@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > I'm working on a site that allows you to vote on active
                > legislation.
                > > When you vote, you will be able to send your vote to your
                > > representatives. You'll also be able to keep a running tally of how
                > > you voted vs. your representatives. There will also be some social
                > > networking tools as well.
                > >
                > > I'm currently working on the design. I'm debating between "simple"
                > vs.
                > > "fun". Which do you like better?
                > >
                > > http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 69723062@ N00/
                > <http://www.flickr. com/photos/ 69723062@ N00/>
                > >
                > > Thanks for your thoughts and inspiration.
                > >
                > > Taylor
                > >
                >
                >


                Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links.

              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.