Re: [govtrack] Anyone good at Flash?

  • Michael Dale
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2007
      I don't know if you have tried adobe flex yet but it makes it pretty
      darn easy to throw together flashy interfaces for statistical information.

      --michael

      Jeremy Dunck wrote:

      > Sadly, no. It's a skill I've been meaning to pick up, but I'm overly
      > busy just now.
      >
      > On 3/22/07, *Josh Tauberer* < tauberer@...
      > <mailto:tauberer@...>> wrote:
      >
      > Is anyone good at Flash and could make something flashy for me for a
      > presidential election page I'm going to roll out soon?

    • Aron Pilhofer
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24, 2007
        Yeah, here's a second vote for flex. I have not used it, but I am a .NET
        guy (and i know you are too, Josh). I got one look at it under the hood,
        and felt like I knew how things work -- it's that close to .NET. You
        should check it out. Only thing is, I don't know how much you can
        actually do with the free SDK....

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 24, 2007
          adobe has a 30 day trial which includes the eclipse based IDE I have
          done one project with it and its a very nice platform for flash
          especially in comparison to trying to using the flash authoring
          environment as a programing platform...

          Depending on what you want to do ... you might also want to check out
          http://www.openlaszlo.org/ which works in a similar way with a XML,
          ECMAScript model letting you compile for either flash or DHTML... its
          not as far along as flex but its open source :)

          --michael

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 25, 2007

            Michael Dale wrote:
            > adobe has a 30 day trial which includes the eclipse based IDE I have
            > done one project with it and its a very nice platform for flash
            > especially in comparison to trying to using the flash authoring
            > environment as a programing platform...
            >
            > Depending on what you want to do ... you might also want to check out
            > http://www.openlaszlo.org/ <http://www.openlaszlo.org/> which works in a
            > similar way with a XML,
            > ECMAScript model letting you compile for either flash or DHTML... its
            > not as far along as flex but its open source :)

            Thanks for pointing those out guys. I hadn't see either. Both look useful.

            But really I kinda just wanted to recruit a helper for those sorts of
            things. No takers, though.