OpenCongress launches

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2007
      I'm pleased to relay the information that today
      http://www.OpenCongress.org is launching. OpenCongress --- created by
      the Participatory Politics Foundation with help from the Sunlight
      Foundation --- is basically a sister site to GovTrack (except with
      different parents). Like GovTrack, OpenCongress aims to present
      information from THOMAS and other sources in a down-to-earth way.

      OpenCongress is based (mostly) on the data set that GovTrack assembles
      and makes available for others to reuse, so I'm particularly happy that
      someone has finally reused it to make something new. As you can see
      from the front pages of the two sites, the focuses of the sites are
      fairly different, GovTrack being mostly reference and tracking, while
      OpenCongress is taking a stab at some analysis. They also have some
      money-in-politics data from OpenSecrets (which I gave up on because
      OpenSecrets wouldn't give me the data....).

      They plan to focus next on collaborative analysis, which should be
      interesting.

      I hope/expect that some level of deep cross-site linking and other data
      integration between GovTrack and OpenCongress will follow in the future.

      (If they release any announcements later on today, I will forward them.)