RE: [govtrack] Representative Email Addresses?

  • Kimo Crossman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
      Fyi:

      They have moved away from providing email addresses because they get too much spam and often they want to know what zip code a voter that is contacting them is located in.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
        You're going to have to have your system POST the information through the appropriate Web forms, unfortunately -- almost no offices offer public e-mail addresses anymore.  The good news is that it's not hard to do that via script (though the infamous "logic puzzles" have made it harder).

        -- Jason

        --
        Jason A. Lefkowitz
        web: http://www.jasonlefkowitz.net

        "A statesman... is a dead politician.
        Lord knows, we need more statesmen." -- Bloom County
      • TML
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
          On the other hand, once you do get ahold of the email addies, it
          shouldn't be a problem to script and config a form to send to
          multiple "mailto:" addresses. In fact, you could give senders a
          choice: one senator, both senators, the state's House delegation, etc.

          tl

          On Jan 3, 2007, at 08:45, Joe Germuska wrote:

          > None of my representatives publish email addresses on their web
          > sites any more; they all require constituents to use a form to make
          > contact. While I mildly regret the fact that I can't just whip off
          > a quick email and send it to two or three of them at once, I find
          > it justifiable considering the insidious nature of spam.
          >
          > Do any federal reps really "do" public email any more?
          >
          > Joe
          >

          > On 1/3/07, tay199 <tay199@...> wrote:
          > I'm building a government site, and I'd like to include a way that
          > people can contact their representatives directly from my site. I'm
          > familiar with the "email forms" that many reps have on their website,
          > but am hoping to create a way to automate communication from my site.
          >

          > --
          > Joe Germuska
          > Joe@... * http://blog.germuska.com
          >
          > "The truth is that we learned from João forever to be out of tune."
          > -- Caetano Veloso

        • tay199
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
            Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to do :) Just need the addresses...

            --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, TML <tlinder@...> wrote:

            > On the other hand, once you do get ahold of the email addies, it
            > shouldn't be a problem to script and config a form to send to
            > multiple "mailto:" addresses. In fact, you could give senders a
            > choice: one senator, both senators, the state's House delegation, etc.
            >
            > tl
            >
            > On Jan 3, 2007, at 08:45, Joe Germuska wrote:
            >
            > > None of my representatives publish email addresses on their web
            > > sites any more; they all require constituents to use a form to make
            > > contact. While I mildly regret the fact that I can't just whip off
            > > a quick email and send it to two or three of them at once, I find
            > > it justifiable considering the insidious nature of spam.
            > >
            > > Do any federal reps really "do" public email any more?
            > >
            > > Joe
            > >

            > > On 1/3/07, tay199 <tay199@...> wrote:
            > > I'm building a government site, and I'd like to include a way that
            > > people can contact their representatives directly from my site. I'm
            > > familiar with the "email forms" that many reps have on their website,
            > > but am hoping to create a way to automate communication from my site.
            > >

            > > --
            > > Joe Germuska
            > > Joe@... * http://blog.germuska.com
            > >
            > > "The truth is that we learned from João forever to be out of tune."
            > > -- Caetano Veloso

          • tay199
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
              I'll take a look at the forms. My fear is that they are not all alike,
              and the pages and forms will change over time.

              What's a "logic puzzle"?

              --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Jason A. Lefkowitz" <jason@...> wrote:

              > You're going to have to have your system POST the information through
              > the appropriate Web forms, unfortunately -- almost no offices offer
              > public e-mail addresses anymore. The good news is that it's not
              hard to
              > do that via script (though the infamous "logic puzzles" have made it
              > harder).
              >
              > -- Jason
              >
              > tay199 wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm building a government site, and I'd like to include a way that
              > > people can contact their representatives directly from my site. I'm
              > > familiar with the "email forms" that many reps have on their website,
              > > but am hoping to create a way to automate communication from my site.
              > >
              > > This way for example, people could contact both of their senators,
              > > their rep, and the president with one form.
              > >
              > > Does anyone know if/where congressional email addresses are posted?
              > > Any other ideas of how I can do this?
              > >
              > > As always, thanks much!
              > >
              > > Taylor
              > >

              > --
              > Jason A. Lefkowitz
              > web: http://www.jasonlefkowitz.net
              > email: jason@...
              >
              > "A statesman... is a dead politician.
              > Lord knows, we need more statesmen." -- Bloom County

            • Jason A. Lefkowitz
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                I'll take a look at the forms. My fear is that they are not all alike,
                and the pages and forms will change over time.

                Yes, they will change over time.  You will need to stay on top of whether your POSTs are going through or not, and periodically modify your logic to accommodate the changes.  If it's any consolation, all the big vendors of write-your-congressman software have to do exactly the same thing.  And if you want to send e-mail to Members, it's not like you really have any alternatives.

                What's a "logic puzzle"?

                I wrote an explanation of this on my blog, with examples -- I'm just going to give you the link rather than try to write it all up again :-)

                http://www.jasonlefkowitz.net/blog1archive/2006/06/congress_and_ca.html

                Hope this helps!

                -- Jason