Re: [govtrack] A Legislative Agenda for Transparency

  • dale
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2006
      added metavid's ideal legislative transparency initiative :)

      Also if we can somehow request that all these digital transparency
      initiatives are implemented with open source software or at very least
      open formats it would be all the better for promoting transparency at as
      many levels as possible. Adopting open source greatly reduces the
      amount of corruption or cohesion that comes about in "outsourcing" these
      projects to private corporations which ultimately restrict or obscure
      transparency to enable vendor lock in / continued contracts and in the
      end reduce public accountability for government services. If the
      government pays for the creation of software it should be mandated that
      is open source similar to existing legislation that dictates that
      government works (unless classified) are public domain. There is a lot
      of literature about open source and government that communicates these
      points and other much better than I am doing... at any rate hopefully
      the open source concept can be integrated into the issues of
      transparency. Maybe this can even carry over to other important
      government software like i don't know.. voting machines ...there is
      wishful thinking anyway ;)