metavid gov_track_id link

  • dale
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 28, 2006
      so I found some time to check out the people.xml file ;) ...much nicer
      than screen scraping the government website ;) I will be using that xml
      file for future people updates :)

      so now I have imported gov_track_ids for every person so its easy to
      make quick pointers. gov_track ids have been linked like so:
      http://metavid.ucsc.edu/gov_track/300037 -> points to Byron Dorgan
      I could make a direct pointer to the first page of html search results &
      or rss "view" if desired... what I should really do is a have a
      function that groups together sequential appearances of a given person
      so that speeches show up as a single item...(another thing for the
      todolist :)

      looking to the future... you might want to check out
      http://metavid.ucsc.edu/wiki/index.php/External_embed
      relevant video clips could then be embeded in the page alongside the
      textual record (so that people would not have to leave your site to view
      the clips)...that level of integration would probably require some work
      on my end as well ;)

      I am running fedora core 6 and the java applet works but I had to
      install the sun java jre and point firefox to the correct location
      something like:

      ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

      by "live archived" I mean we will be updating the site database in real
      time as things happen on the house and senate floor and linking to that
      video... so that a search for person x or text phrase y would include
      up-to-the minute appearances/transcripts, as well as letting people tune
      into a live high quality ogg theora reusable broadcast... currently we
      do everything in post processing after the day is over... the major
      hurdle for this technology to be put in place is the on screen analysis
      that has to be done to determine if its public domain footage or C-SPAN
      proprietary stuff... we are (slowly) getting closer to having this
      functional ....

      Things would faster if I had more time...I am currently working full
      time for a different academic project which deals with online political
      conversation analysis... I will announce it here when it comes online as
      I think it may be of interest to some of the people on this list ;)

      --michael

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
        > so I found some time to check out the people.xml file ;) ...much nicer
        > than screen scraping the government website ;) I will be using that xml
        > file for future people updates :)

        Great.

        > so now I have imported gov_track_ids for every person so its easy to
        > make quick pointers. gov_track ids have been linked like so:
        > http://metavid.ucsc.edu/gov_track/300037

        Very nice. Let me know when I should add a link from GovTrack.

        > looking to the future... you might want to check out
        > http://metavid.ucsc.edu/wiki/index.php/External_embed
        > <http://metavid.ucsc.edu/wiki/index.php/External_embed>
        > relevant video clips could then be embeded in the page alongside the
        > textual record (so that people would not have to leave your site to view
        > the clips)...that level of integration would probably require some work
        > on my end as well ;)

        Really great. I can't wait to do that.

        > I am running fedora core 6 and the java applet works but I had to
        > install the sun java jre and point firefox to the correct location
        > something like:
        >
        > ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
        > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

        I think I've done that (other java things work OK) but I end up with my
        CPU going to 100% and nothing happening.

        > I am currently working full
        > time for a different academic project which deals with online political
        > conversation analysis... I will announce it here when it comes online as
        > I think it may be of interest to some of the people on this list ;)

        It's at least of interest to me! (owing to my linguistics life)