Re: [govtrack] Two Project Ideas

  • Scott Willeke
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
      Regarding Project 1:
      Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be compared.
      How do you envision the difference in the output being shown? Maybe it
      could create a report with details about each addition and removal.
      Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted areas or
      annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
      annotations). I'm not sure if I'll have the time to take on the project
      but with a little more information I can give it a try. In any case I
      think the information will be useful to anyone considering the project
      and I think such a tool will be invaluable.

      Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
      > In case anyone on the list is bored and wants to work on a project that
      > would be really useful, I want to extract two ideas out of the current
      > read-the-bill thread. (And since GovTrack has a moderate surplus at the
      > moment, I could potentially fund one.)
      >
      > Project 1 - Version Tracking Bills
      >
      > Given two PDF versions of a bill (such as the bill as it was introduced
      > and then as it was after being reported by a committee, or in the case
      > in the other thread, as it was after being passed by the Senate and then
      > again after it was following the conference committee), what are the
      > additions, removals, and changes that were made?
      >
      > The idea is to have the effect of combining the Linux tools pdftotext
      > and diff, but better. Or, to tweak that process so that the output is
      > actually useful for a regular citizen.
      >
      > Project 2 - Collecting Advocacy Positions
      >
      > I want to display on GovTrack the positions of advocacy
      > groups/individuals on particular bills. What I need is a way for
      > independent organizations/individuals to enter their positions on
      > bills/amendments/votes (support/oppose/ambivalent + comment), or to
      > import their positions from e.g. blog entries, so that they end up in a
      > common data format to be displayed on GovTrack (and any other site that
      > wants to display it). This would entail creating a small website.

    • Aron Pilhofer
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
        Yeah, but isn't that after the fact? You're right, their site is getting
        crushed -- but if memory serves, those are issue ratings based on votes
        lawmakers have made already. What we're talking about (I thought) is
        something that would happen before the final vote on a bill... I don't
        know of anyone that does that, or who would do it as well. :)

        --

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Aron Pilhofer
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
          It's a project we did for customers, and one of their requirements was for it to be an invite-only system. The work these folks do around bills and fighting for their positions is very adversarial, and the tools they use are kept pretty close to the vest.

          The import is done from ftp://landru.leg.state.or.us/pub

          Steve

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
            Scott Willeke wrote:
            > Regarding Project 1:
            > Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be compared.

            Hi, Scott. Take these two:

            http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95rds.pdf
            http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95enr.pdf

            The first is the resolution after it was passed by the House (at the
            time it was received in the Senate). The second is the final form of
            the bill (as it was "enrolled") after the Senate passed it as well.
            From a cursory look it seems the Senate tacked on some stuff at the end,
            between the versions.

            > How do you envision the difference in the output being shown?

            A list of changes, highlighting, whatever -- as long as it can filter
            out a whole variety of unimportant formatting changes, like line
            numbering, section numbering, line wrapping, etc.

            The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
            (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
            addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
            differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.

            Then strip out the formatting things that I mentioned above. (Obviously
            not trivial for line wrapping, for instance.)

            Then run a diff, but one would have to figure out how to format the
            output of the diff so it looks like a bill again. (I have some thoughts
            on that, for future reference, but I won't get into it now.)

            > Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted areas or
            > annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
            > annotations).

            It's easier to view and navigate in HTML, so I don't think that's as
            important, but interesting.

            Difficult, but not impossible. I hope you give it a shot.

            -

          • yahoogroups-backupemail@msmith.net
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
              On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
              > The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
              > (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
              > addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
              > differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.

              there's a fork of pdftotext (also free) which has very
              useful -html and -xml output flags which might be a
              better place to start from if you don't have tools already.

              http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/

              Sam
              www.disruptiveproactivity.com

              --
              May you always be as vivid as your hallucinations.
            • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                yahoogroups-backupemail@... wrote:
                > On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
                >> The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
                >> (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                >> addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                >> differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.
                >
                > there's a fork of pdftotext (also free) which has very
                > useful -html and -xml output flags which might be a
                > better place to start from if you don't have tools already.
                >
                > http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/ <http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/>

                Ahha, I think that could be useful. Thanks for the pointer. (It's
                actually been integrated in the poppler-utils RPM for Fedora Core 6, if
                that's useful for anyone.)

                For reference, the two PDFs in HTML with pdftohtml are:

                http://www.govtrack.us/hc95rds.html
                http://www.govtrack.us/hc95enr.html

                It's not getting the alignment of lines quite right, splitting up things
                on the same line, but that might not impact the task anyway since
                different line breaks between versions has to be ignored anyway.

                "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
                about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report
              • Scott Burns
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                  Instead of trying to convert PDFs and remove formatting you can get
                  basic HTML versions of these bills from Thomas. This bill, for
                  example, can be found here:

                  http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:

                  From that page select the link to "Text of Legislation". You'll
                  then be presented with a list of the different versions from
                  different stages of the process. Pick the one you want there by
                  selecting the link and, then, on the next page select "Printer
                  Friendly Display". You'll then get a basic HTML display that, while
                  somewhat ugly (see the source) should be parse-able into a DOM and
                  then compared node-for-node to another version to find diffs.

                  I haven't played around with the queries there enough to figure out
                  if there's a reliable URL to get directly to the text display of the
                  version you want, though getting to the bill summary page is easy.
                  It shouldn't be hard to script a bot to do the navigation.

                  HTH ...s.

                  On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:

                  > Scott Willeke wrote:
                  > > Regarding Project 1:
                  > > Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be
                  > compared.
                  >
                  > Hi, Scott. Take these two:
                  >
                  > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95rds.pdf
                  > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95enr.pdf
                  >
                  > The first is the resolution after it was passed by the House (at the
                  > time it was received in the Senate). The second is the final form of
                  > the bill (as it was "enrolled") after the Senate passed it as well.
                  > From a cursory look it seems the Senate tacked on some stuff at the
                  > end,
                  > between the versions.
                  >
                  > > How do you envision the difference in the output being shown?
                  >
                  > A list of changes, highlighting, whatever -- as long as it can filter
                  > out a whole variety of unimportant formatting changes, like line
                  > numbering, section numbering, line wrapping, etc.
                  >
                  > The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text
                  > versions
                  > (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                  > addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                  > differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.
                  >
                  > Then strip out the formatting things that I mentioned above.
                  > (Obviously
                  > not trivial for line wrapping, for instance.)
                  >
                  > Then run a diff, but one would have to figure out how to format the
                  > output of the diff so it looks like a bill again. (I have some
                  > thoughts
                  > on that, for future reference, but I won't get into it now.)
                  >
                  > > Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted
                  > areas or
                  > > annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
                  > > annotations).
                  >
                  > It's easier to view and navigate in HTML, so I don't think that's as
                  > important, but interesting.
                  >
                  > Difficult, but not impossible. I hope you give it a shot.
                  >
                  > -
                  > - Joshua Tauberer
                  >
                  > http://razor.occams.info
                  >
                  > "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
                  > about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report

                  --
                  Scott Burns, Staff Technologist <sburns@...>
                  Public Knowledge <http://www.publicknowledge.org>

                  -- Fortifying and Defending a Vibrant Information Commons
                • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                    Scott Burns wrote:
                    > Instead of trying to convert PDFs and remove formatting you can get
                    > basic HTML versions of these bills from Thomas. This bill, for
                    > example, can be found here:
                    >
                    > http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:
                    > <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:>

                    Right, I forgot that Thomas's HTML versions are pretty good.

                    > I haven't played around with the queries there enough to figure out
                    > if there's a reliable URL to get directly to the text display of the
                    > version you want

                    Not as far as I know also.

                    In that case, the task may be a lot easier. Convert the HTML into XML,
                    and then run a difference with an XML differencing tool, such as xmldiff
                    (a Python script, very slow when I tried it just now, but seems to
                    actually be useful for this project and can read the HTML directly) or
                    XyDiff:

                    http://gemo.futurs.inria.fr/software/XyDiff/cdrom/www/xydiff/index-eng.htm

                    Which might do the same thing faster and better, but I haven't tried.
                    It's in C++ and needs to be compiled.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 26 11:17 PM
                      http://federallink.org/

                      There are several aspects of the site that aren't ready for public consumption, like the long lists of data and overall ugliness, but I want to get some feedback, starting with you fine folks on the govtrack mailing list.

                      Beyond feedback, I'm looking for permanent help with coding, design, or establishing relationships with advocacy groups.

                      -Andrew

                      On 11/6/06, Andrew Badr <andrewbadr.etc@...> wrote:
                      I'm glad to hear that people are interested. It's a friend and I working on the project. We can't devote all our time to it, but we expect to launch some time in February, and something that could be called a demo should be ready much sooner.

                      Andrew

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 27 3:52 PM
                        Andrew Badr wrote:
                        > http://federallink.org/ <http://federallink.org/>
                        >
                        > There are several aspects of the site that aren't ready for public
                        > consumption, like the long lists of data and overall ugliness, but I
                        > want to get some feedback, starting with you fine folks on the govtrack
                        > mailing list.
                        >
                        > Beyond feedback, I'm looking for permanent help with coding, design, or
                        > establishing relationships with advocacy groups.

                        Hey, Andrew.

                        (Btw, apparently we know someone in common. Small world...)

                        The site looks great. I look forward to being able to link from GovTrack
                        to FederalLink (and hopefully to include some stats from your site on
                        GovTrack).

                        When you correlate the patterns of two advocacy groups, how do you
                        select which groups to show (given the one the user is looking at)?

                        I'd love to see some graphical representations of the data (the same way
                        I made my political spectrum, for instance).

                      • Nancy Berry
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 27 4:31 PM
                          I went in and registered...easy, and then went into bills...great work!

                          Nancy Berry

                          http://razor. occams.info