Re: [govtrack] Two Project Ideas

  • Scott Willeke
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
      Regarding Project 1:
      Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be compared.
      How do you envision the difference in the output being shown? Maybe it
      could create a report with details about each addition and removal.
      Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted areas or
      annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
      annotations). I'm not sure if I'll have the time to take on the project
      but with a little more information I can give it a try. In any case I
      think the information will be useful to anyone considering the project
      and I think such a tool will be invaluable.

      Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
      > In case anyone on the list is bored and wants to work on a project that
      > would be really useful, I want to extract two ideas out of the current
      > read-the-bill thread. (And since GovTrack has a moderate surplus at the
      > moment, I could potentially fund one.)
      >
      > Project 1 - Version Tracking Bills
      >
      > Given two PDF versions of a bill (such as the bill as it was introduced
      > and then as it was after being reported by a committee, or in the case
      > in the other thread, as it was after being passed by the Senate and then
      > again after it was following the conference committee), what are the
      > additions, removals, and changes that were made?
      >
      > The idea is to have the effect of combining the Linux tools pdftotext
      > and diff, but better. Or, to tweak that process so that the output is
      > actually useful for a regular citizen.
      >
      > Project 2 - Collecting Advocacy Positions
      >
      > I want to display on GovTrack the positions of advocacy
      > groups/individuals on particular bills. What I need is a way for
      > independent organizations/individuals to enter their positions on
      > bills/amendments/votes (support/oppose/ambivalent + comment), or to
      > import their positions from e.g. blog entries, so that they end up in a
      > common data format to be displayed on GovTrack (and any other site that
      > wants to display it). This would entail creating a small website.

    • Aron Pilhofer
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
        Yeah, but isn't that after the fact? You're right, their site is getting
        crushed -- but if memory serves, those are issue ratings based on votes
        lawmakers have made already. What we're talking about (I thought) is
        something that would happen before the final vote on a bill... I don't
        know of anyone that does that, or who would do it as well. :)

        --

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Aron Pilhofer
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
          We've built a collaborative bill tracker for progressive groups in the
          state of Oregon. We get a feed of legislation every night and
          import/update a database of bills. Members of the site can track bills,
          state their position on a bill, and see others doing the same. The
          people using it in Oregon have found it really useful, and it has helped
          them to see allies they maybe didn't even think about.

          Unfortunately, I can't give you a URL as it's a password protected app.

          The key to uptake is for the tool to be useful to the people using it. A
          bill tracker would be a helpful tool. Throw in some web 2.0-type
          collaboration aspects, and it's fairly compelling. While we may be
          interested in the shared benefit for the community/movement, individual
          users are going to be focused on what the tool does for them.

          We built our project on Plone, the open source content management
          system. In Oregon, the bill status is provided in machine readable form
          every night, so we don't have to do any pdf trickery. We built our 1.0
          version very quickly last year--the core functionality for bill tracking
          is pretty simple. If the imports are straight-forward, like they are in
          Oregon, it's not too tough to build.

          Steve

          John DeBruyn wrote:

          > Hi Joshua:
          >
          > Two great projects ... what a horse race.
          >
          > Project 2 will likely pick up more buzz in the blogosphere and in the
          > press than project 1.
          >
          > One is probably as vital, if not more so, than 2, over the long haul.

          > Howver, somebody else is likely to do 2. As a consquence doing 2
          > first as an adjunct of GoVTrack will do more to get GovTrack the
          > additinal attention and traffic that it deserves. I would also surmize

          > that project 2 would invove more time and expense and that is another
          > reason to deffer until GovTrack gains more steam.
          >
          > Keep up the good work,
          >
          > Thanks for all that you are doing,
          >
          > John
          >
          > John DeBruyn Denver CO USA

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Joe Germuska
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
            At 7:53 AM -0800 11/7/06, Steve Andersen wrote:
            >Unfortunately, I can't give you a URL as it's a password protected app.

            Why is it password protected? Is it not possible
            to have something like that public without it
            being "poisoned"? (I ask honestly.) Or was it
            more a "we're just getting started, so let's keep
            it in the family."

            >We built our project on Plone, the open source content management
            >system. In Oregon, the bill status is provided in machine readable form
            >every night, so we don't have to do any pdf trickery.

            Good for Oregon! Where are these documents served? Do other states do this?

            Joe

            --
            Joe Germuska
            Joe@... * http://blog.germuska.com

            "The truth is that we learned from João forever to be out of tune."
            -- Caetano Veloso
          • Steve Andersen
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
              It's a project we did for customers, and one of their requirements was for it to be an invite-only system. The work these folks do around bills and fighting for their positions is very adversarial, and the tools they use are kept pretty close to the vest.

              The import is done from ftp://landru.leg.state.or.us/pub

              Steve

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
                Scott Willeke wrote:
                > Regarding Project 1:
                > Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be compared.

                Hi, Scott. Take these two:

                http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95rds.pdf
                http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95enr.pdf

                The first is the resolution after it was passed by the House (at the
                time it was received in the Senate). The second is the final form of
                the bill (as it was "enrolled") after the Senate passed it as well.
                From a cursory look it seems the Senate tacked on some stuff at the end,
                between the versions.

                > How do you envision the difference in the output being shown?

                A list of changes, highlighting, whatever -- as long as it can filter
                out a whole variety of unimportant formatting changes, like line
                numbering, section numbering, line wrapping, etc.

                The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
                (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.

                Then strip out the formatting things that I mentioned above. (Obviously
                not trivial for line wrapping, for instance.)

                Then run a diff, but one would have to figure out how to format the
                output of the diff so it looks like a bill again. (I have some thoughts
                on that, for future reference, but I won't get into it now.)

                > Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted areas or
                > annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
                > annotations).

                It's easier to view and navigate in HTML, so I don't think that's as
                important, but interesting.

                Difficult, but not impossible. I hope you give it a shot.

                -

              • yahoogroups-backupemail@msmith.net
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
                  On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
                  > The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
                  > (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                  > addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                  > differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.

                  there's a fork of pdftotext (also free) which has very
                  useful -html and -xml output flags which might be a
                  better place to start from if you don't have tools already.

                  http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/

                  Sam
                  www.disruptiveproactivity.com

                  --
                  May you always be as vivid as your hallucinations.
                • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                    yahoogroups-backupemail@... wrote:
                    > On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
                    >> The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
                    >> (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                    >> addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                    >> differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.
                    >
                    > there's a fork of pdftotext (also free) which has very
                    > useful -html and -xml output flags which might be a
                    > better place to start from if you don't have tools already.
                    >
                    > http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/ <http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/>

                    Ahha, I think that could be useful. Thanks for the pointer. (It's
                    actually been integrated in the poppler-utils RPM for Fedora Core 6, if
                    that's useful for anyone.)

                    For reference, the two PDFs in HTML with pdftohtml are:

                    http://www.govtrack.us/hc95rds.html
                    http://www.govtrack.us/hc95enr.html

                    It's not getting the alignment of lines quite right, splitting up things
                    on the same line, but that might not impact the task anyway since
                    different line breaks between versions has to be ignored anyway.

                    "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
                    about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report
                  • Scott Burns
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                      Instead of trying to convert PDFs and remove formatting you can get
                      basic HTML versions of these bills from Thomas. This bill, for
                      example, can be found here:

                      http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:

                      From that page select the link to "Text of Legislation". You'll
                      then be presented with a list of the different versions from
                      different stages of the process. Pick the one you want there by
                      selecting the link and, then, on the next page select "Printer
                      Friendly Display". You'll then get a basic HTML display that, while
                      somewhat ugly (see the source) should be parse-able into a DOM and
                      then compared node-for-node to another version to find diffs.

                      I haven't played around with the queries there enough to figure out
                      if there's a reliable URL to get directly to the text display of the
                      version you want, though getting to the bill summary page is easy.
                      It shouldn't be hard to script a bot to do the navigation.

                      HTH ...s.

                      On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:

                      > Scott Willeke wrote:
                      > > Regarding Project 1:
                      > > Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be
                      > compared.
                      >
                      > Hi, Scott. Take these two:
                      >
                      > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95rds.pdf
                      > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95enr.pdf
                      >
                      > The first is the resolution after it was passed by the House (at the
                      > time it was received in the Senate). The second is the final form of
                      > the bill (as it was "enrolled") after the Senate passed it as well.
                      > From a cursory look it seems the Senate tacked on some stuff at the
                      > end,
                      > between the versions.
                      >
                      > > How do you envision the difference in the output being shown?
                      >
                      > A list of changes, highlighting, whatever -- as long as it can filter
                      > out a whole variety of unimportant formatting changes, like line
                      > numbering, section numbering, line wrapping, etc.
                      >
                      > The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text
                      > versions
                      > (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                      > addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                      > differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.
                      >
                      > Then strip out the formatting things that I mentioned above.
                      > (Obviously
                      > not trivial for line wrapping, for instance.)
                      >
                      > Then run a diff, but one would have to figure out how to format the
                      > output of the diff so it looks like a bill again. (I have some
                      > thoughts
                      > on that, for future reference, but I won't get into it now.)
                      >
                      > > Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted
                      > areas or
                      > > annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
                      > > annotations).
                      >
                      > It's easier to view and navigate in HTML, so I don't think that's as
                      > important, but interesting.
                      >
                      > Difficult, but not impossible. I hope you give it a shot.
                      >
                      > -
                      > - Joshua Tauberer
                      >
                      > http://razor.occams.info
                      >
                      > "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
                      > about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report

                      --
                      Scott Burns, Staff Technologist <sburns@...>
                      Public Knowledge <http://www.publicknowledge.org>

                      -- Fortifying and Defending a Vibrant Information Commons
                    • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                        Scott Burns wrote:
                        > Instead of trying to convert PDFs and remove formatting you can get
                        > basic HTML versions of these bills from Thomas. This bill, for
                        > example, can be found here:
                        >
                        > http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:
                        > <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:>

                        Right, I forgot that Thomas's HTML versions are pretty good.

                        > I haven't played around with the queries there enough to figure out
                        > if there's a reliable URL to get directly to the text display of the
                        > version you want

                        Not as far as I know also.

                        In that case, the task may be a lot easier. Convert the HTML into XML,
                        and then run a difference with an XML differencing tool, such as xmldiff
                        (a Python script, very slow when I tried it just now, but seems to
                        actually be useful for this project and can read the HTML directly) or
                        XyDiff:

                        http://gemo.futurs.inria.fr/software/XyDiff/cdrom/www/xydiff/index-eng.htm

                        Which might do the same thing faster and better, but I haven't tried.
                        It's in C++ and needs to be compiled.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 26, 2007
                          http://federallink.org/

                          There are several aspects of the site that aren't ready for public consumption, like the long lists of data and overall ugliness, but I want to get some feedback, starting with you fine folks on the govtrack mailing list.

                          Beyond feedback, I'm looking for permanent help with coding, design, or establishing relationships with advocacy groups.

                          -Andrew

                          On 11/6/06, Andrew Badr <andrewbadr.etc@...> wrote:
                          I'm glad to hear that people are interested. It's a friend and I working on the project. We can't devote all our time to it, but we expect to launch some time in February, and something that could be called a demo should be ready much sooner.

                          Andrew

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 27, 2007
                            Andrew Badr wrote:
                            > http://federallink.org/ <http://federallink.org/>
                            >
                            > There are several aspects of the site that aren't ready for public
                            > consumption, like the long lists of data and overall ugliness, but I
                            > want to get some feedback, starting with you fine folks on the govtrack
                            > mailing list.
                            >
                            > Beyond feedback, I'm looking for permanent help with coding, design, or
                            > establishing relationships with advocacy groups.

                            Hey, Andrew.

                            (Btw, apparently we know someone in common. Small world...)

                            The site looks great. I look forward to being able to link from GovTrack
                            to FederalLink (and hopefully to include some stats from your site on
                            GovTrack).

                            When you correlate the patterns of two advocacy groups, how do you
                            select which groups to show (given the one the user is looking at)?

                            I'd love to see some graphical representations of the data (the same way
                            I made my political spectrum, for instance).

                          • Nancy Berry
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 27, 2007
                              I went in and registered...easy, and then went into bills...great work!

                              Nancy Berry

                              http://razor. occams.info