Re: [govtrack] Two Project Ideas

  • Scott Willeke
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
      Regarding Project 1:
      Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be compared.
      How do you envision the difference in the output being shown? Maybe it
      could create a report with details about each addition and removal.
      Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted areas or
      annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
      annotations). I'm not sure if I'll have the time to take on the project
      but with a little more information I can give it a try. In any case I
      think the information will be useful to anyone considering the project
      and I think such a tool will be invaluable.

      Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
      > In case anyone on the list is bored and wants to work on a project that
      > would be really useful, I want to extract two ideas out of the current
      > read-the-bill thread. (And since GovTrack has a moderate surplus at the
      > moment, I could potentially fund one.)
      >
      > Project 1 - Version Tracking Bills
      >
      > Given two PDF versions of a bill (such as the bill as it was introduced
      > and then as it was after being reported by a committee, or in the case
      > in the other thread, as it was after being passed by the Senate and then
      > again after it was following the conference committee), what are the
      > additions, removals, and changes that were made?
      >
      > The idea is to have the effect of combining the Linux tools pdftotext
      > and diff, but better. Or, to tweak that process so that the output is
      > actually useful for a regular citizen.
      >
      > Project 2 - Collecting Advocacy Positions
      >
      > I want to display on GovTrack the positions of advocacy
      > groups/individuals on particular bills. What I need is a way for
      > independent organizations/individuals to enter their positions on
      > bills/amendments/votes (support/oppose/ambivalent + comment), or to
      > import their positions from e.g. blog entries, so that they end up in a
      > common data format to be displayed on GovTrack (and any other site that
      > wants to display it). This would entail creating a small website.

    • Aron Pilhofer
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
        Not sure I agree. Both projects would be valuable, but number two would
        provide a heck of a lot more fodder for day-to-day reporting and
        analysis than number one -- both for bloggers and those of us in the
        so-called mainstream media. Sure, #1 would generate the occasional
        "gotchas" and so forth, but really only if you knew when and where to
        look. There are so many changes to legislation (heck, so much
        legislation...period) that a version tracking system wouldn't
        necessarily make it a whole lot easier to find those hidden gems than it
        is now.

        Speaking for myself, and only for myself, I think number two would be
        the kind of killer feature that would help GovTrack gain steam. Shoot,
        maybe it's something we could partner up on. Half the battle would be
        getting these groups to contribute on a regular and timely basis, and
        maybe they would have the incentive to do so if they knew it was
        something that was going to be available to a wide audience. We'd have
        to insist on it being completely free (as in speech) and available for
        use by anyone, but I think that's doable.

        Anyway, it's something I'm interested in helping out on regardless...
        aron

        John DeBruyn wrote:

        > Hi Joshua:
        >
        > Two great projects ... what a horse race.
        >
        > Project 2 will likely pick up more buzz in the blogosphere and in the
        > press than project 1.
        >
        > One is probably as vital, if not more so, than 2, over the long haul.
        > Howver, somebody else is likely to do 2. As a consquence doing 2
        > first as an adjunct of GoVTrack will do more to get GovTrack the
        > additinal attention and traffic that it deserves. I would also surmize
        > that project 2 would invove more time and expense and that is another
        > reason to deffer until GovTrack gains more steam.
        >
        > Keep up the good work,
        >
        > Thanks for all that you are doing,
        >
        > John
        >
        > John DeBruyn Denver CO USA

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Aron Pilhofer
        Database Editor,
        The New York Times
        Phone: 212-556-5849
        Email: aron@...
      • Chris Kinnan
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
          Project Vote-Smart does this to some degree...I work for a non-profit advocacy group (FreedomWorks) and they query us every year.

          I think their site is getting crushed today by election traffic but here is the link

          http://www.vote-smart.org/official_five_categories.php?dist=issue_rating_category.php

          Chris

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
            Yeah, but isn't that after the fact? You're right, their site is getting
            crushed -- but if memory serves, those are issue ratings based on votes
            lawmakers have made already. What we're talking about (I thought) is
            something that would happen before the final vote on a bill... I don't
            know of anyone that does that, or who would do it as well. :)

            --

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Aron Pilhofer
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
              We've built a collaborative bill tracker for progressive groups in the
              state of Oregon. We get a feed of legislation every night and
              import/update a database of bills. Members of the site can track bills,
              state their position on a bill, and see others doing the same. The
              people using it in Oregon have found it really useful, and it has helped
              them to see allies they maybe didn't even think about.

              Unfortunately, I can't give you a URL as it's a password protected app.

              The key to uptake is for the tool to be useful to the people using it. A
              bill tracker would be a helpful tool. Throw in some web 2.0-type
              collaboration aspects, and it's fairly compelling. While we may be
              interested in the shared benefit for the community/movement, individual
              users are going to be focused on what the tool does for them.

              We built our project on Plone, the open source content management
              system. In Oregon, the bill status is provided in machine readable form
              every night, so we don't have to do any pdf trickery. We built our 1.0
              version very quickly last year--the core functionality for bill tracking
              is pretty simple. If the imports are straight-forward, like they are in
              Oregon, it's not too tough to build.

              Steve

              John DeBruyn wrote:

              > Hi Joshua:
              >
              > Two great projects ... what a horse race.
              >
              > Project 2 will likely pick up more buzz in the blogosphere and in the
              > press than project 1.
              >
              > One is probably as vital, if not more so, than 2, over the long haul.

              > Howver, somebody else is likely to do 2. As a consquence doing 2
              > first as an adjunct of GoVTrack will do more to get GovTrack the
              > additinal attention and traffic that it deserves. I would also surmize

              > that project 2 would invove more time and expense and that is another
              > reason to deffer until GovTrack gains more steam.
              >
              > Keep up the good work,
              >
              > Thanks for all that you are doing,
              >
              > John
              >
              > John DeBruyn Denver CO USA

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Joe Germuska
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
                At 7:53 AM -0800 11/7/06, Steve Andersen wrote:
                >Unfortunately, I can't give you a URL as it's a password protected app.

                Why is it password protected? Is it not possible
                to have something like that public without it
                being "poisoned"? (I ask honestly.) Or was it
                more a "we're just getting started, so let's keep
                it in the family."

                >We built our project on Plone, the open source content management
                >system. In Oregon, the bill status is provided in machine readable form
                >every night, so we don't have to do any pdf trickery.

                Good for Oregon! Where are these documents served? Do other states do this?

                Joe

                --
                Joe Germuska
                Joe@... * http://blog.germuska.com

                "The truth is that we learned from João forever to be out of tune."
                -- Caetano Veloso
              • Steve Andersen
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
                  It's a project we did for customers, and one of their requirements was for it to be an invite-only system. The work these folks do around bills and fighting for their positions is very adversarial, and the tools they use are kept pretty close to the vest.

                  The import is done from ftp://landru.leg.state.or.us/pub

                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
                    Scott Willeke wrote:
                    > Regarding Project 1:
                    > Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be compared.

                    Hi, Scott. Take these two:

                    http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95rds.pdf
                    http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95enr.pdf

                    The first is the resolution after it was passed by the House (at the
                    time it was received in the Senate). The second is the final form of
                    the bill (as it was "enrolled") after the Senate passed it as well.
                    From a cursory look it seems the Senate tacked on some stuff at the end,
                    between the versions.

                    > How do you envision the difference in the output being shown?

                    A list of changes, highlighting, whatever -- as long as it can filter
                    out a whole variety of unimportant formatting changes, like line
                    numbering, section numbering, line wrapping, etc.

                    The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
                    (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                    addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                    differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.

                    Then strip out the formatting things that I mentioned above. (Obviously
                    not trivial for line wrapping, for instance.)

                    Then run a diff, but one would have to figure out how to format the
                    output of the diff so it looks like a bill again. (I have some thoughts
                    on that, for future reference, but I won't get into it now.)

                    > Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted areas or
                    > annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
                    > annotations).

                    It's easier to view and navigate in HTML, so I don't think that's as
                    important, but interesting.

                    Difficult, but not impossible. I hope you give it a shot.

                    -

                  • yahoogroups-backupemail@msmith.net
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
                      On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
                      > The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
                      > (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                      > addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                      > differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.

                      there's a fork of pdftotext (also free) which has very
                      useful -html and -xml output flags which might be a
                      better place to start from if you don't have tools already.

                      http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/

                      Sam
                      www.disruptiveproactivity.com

                      --
                      May you always be as vivid as your hallucinations.
                    • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                        yahoogroups-backupemail@... wrote:
                        > On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
                        >> The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
                        >> (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                        >> addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                        >> differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.
                        >
                        > there's a fork of pdftotext (also free) which has very
                        > useful -html and -xml output flags which might be a
                        > better place to start from if you don't have tools already.
                        >
                        > http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/ <http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/>

                        Ahha, I think that could be useful. Thanks for the pointer. (It's
                        actually been integrated in the poppler-utils RPM for Fedora Core 6, if
                        that's useful for anyone.)

                        For reference, the two PDFs in HTML with pdftohtml are:

                        http://www.govtrack.us/hc95rds.html
                        http://www.govtrack.us/hc95enr.html

                        It's not getting the alignment of lines quite right, splitting up things
                        on the same line, but that might not impact the task anyway since
                        different line breaks between versions has to be ignored anyway.

                        "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
                        about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report
                      • Scott Burns
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                          Instead of trying to convert PDFs and remove formatting you can get
                          basic HTML versions of these bills from Thomas. This bill, for
                          example, can be found here:

                          http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:

                          From that page select the link to "Text of Legislation". You'll
                          then be presented with a list of the different versions from
                          different stages of the process. Pick the one you want there by
                          selecting the link and, then, on the next page select "Printer
                          Friendly Display". You'll then get a basic HTML display that, while
                          somewhat ugly (see the source) should be parse-able into a DOM and
                          then compared node-for-node to another version to find diffs.

                          I haven't played around with the queries there enough to figure out
                          if there's a reliable URL to get directly to the text display of the
                          version you want, though getting to the bill summary page is easy.
                          It shouldn't be hard to script a bot to do the navigation.

                          HTH ...s.

                          On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:

                          > Scott Willeke wrote:
                          > > Regarding Project 1:
                          > > Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be
                          > compared.
                          >
                          > Hi, Scott. Take these two:
                          >
                          > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95rds.pdf
                          > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95enr.pdf
                          >
                          > The first is the resolution after it was passed by the House (at the
                          > time it was received in the Senate). The second is the final form of
                          > the bill (as it was "enrolled") after the Senate passed it as well.
                          > From a cursory look it seems the Senate tacked on some stuff at the
                          > end,
                          > between the versions.
                          >
                          > > How do you envision the difference in the output being shown?
                          >
                          > A list of changes, highlighting, whatever -- as long as it can filter
                          > out a whole variety of unimportant formatting changes, like line
                          > numbering, section numbering, line wrapping, etc.
                          >
                          > The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text
                          > versions
                          > (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                          > addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                          > differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.
                          >
                          > Then strip out the formatting things that I mentioned above.
                          > (Obviously
                          > not trivial for line wrapping, for instance.)
                          >
                          > Then run a diff, but one would have to figure out how to format the
                          > output of the diff so it looks like a bill again. (I have some
                          > thoughts
                          > on that, for future reference, but I won't get into it now.)
                          >
                          > > Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted
                          > areas or
                          > > annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
                          > > annotations).
                          >
                          > It's easier to view and navigate in HTML, so I don't think that's as
                          > important, but interesting.
                          >
                          > Difficult, but not impossible. I hope you give it a shot.
                          >
                          > -
                          > - Joshua Tauberer
                          >
                          > http://razor.occams.info
                          >
                          > "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
                          > about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report

                          --
                          Scott Burns, Staff Technologist <sburns@...>
                          Public Knowledge <http://www.publicknowledge.org>

                          -- Fortifying and Defending a Vibrant Information Commons
                        • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                            Scott Burns wrote:
                            > Instead of trying to convert PDFs and remove formatting you can get
                            > basic HTML versions of these bills from Thomas. This bill, for
                            > example, can be found here:
                            >
                            > http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:
                            > <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:>

                            Right, I forgot that Thomas's HTML versions are pretty good.

                            > I haven't played around with the queries there enough to figure out
                            > if there's a reliable URL to get directly to the text display of the
                            > version you want

                            Not as far as I know also.

                            In that case, the task may be a lot easier. Convert the HTML into XML,
                            and then run a difference with an XML differencing tool, such as xmldiff
                            (a Python script, very slow when I tried it just now, but seems to
                            actually be useful for this project and can read the HTML directly) or
                            XyDiff:

                            http://gemo.futurs.inria.fr/software/XyDiff/cdrom/www/xydiff/index-eng.htm

                            Which might do the same thing faster and better, but I haven't tried.
                            It's in C++ and needs to be compiled.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 26, 2007
                              http://federallink.org/

                              There are several aspects of the site that aren't ready for public consumption, like the long lists of data and overall ugliness, but I want to get some feedback, starting with you fine folks on the govtrack mailing list.

                              Beyond feedback, I'm looking for permanent help with coding, design, or establishing relationships with advocacy groups.

                              -Andrew

                              On 11/6/06, Andrew Badr <andrewbadr.etc@...> wrote:
                              I'm glad to hear that people are interested. It's a friend and I working on the project. We can't devote all our time to it, but we expect to launch some time in February, and something that could be called a demo should be ready much sooner.

                              Andrew

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 27, 2007
                                Andrew Badr wrote:
                                > http://federallink.org/ <http://federallink.org/>
                                >
                                > There are several aspects of the site that aren't ready for public
                                > consumption, like the long lists of data and overall ugliness, but I
                                > want to get some feedback, starting with you fine folks on the govtrack
                                > mailing list.
                                >
                                > Beyond feedback, I'm looking for permanent help with coding, design, or
                                > establishing relationships with advocacy groups.

                                Hey, Andrew.

                                (Btw, apparently we know someone in common. Small world...)

                                The site looks great. I look forward to being able to link from GovTrack
                                to FederalLink (and hopefully to include some stats from your site on
                                GovTrack).

                                When you correlate the patterns of two advocacy groups, how do you
                                select which groups to show (given the one the user is looking at)?

                                I'd love to see some graphical representations of the data (the same way
                                I made my political spectrum, for instance).

                              • Nancy Berry
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 27, 2007
                                  I went in and registered...easy, and then went into bills...great work!

                                  Nancy Berry

                                  http://razor. occams.info