Re: [govtrack] Two Project Ideas

  • Andrew Badr
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 6, 2006
      I'm already working Project 2 :)

      On 11/4/06, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us <tauberer@...> wrote:

      In case anyone on the list is bored and wants to work on a project that
      would be really useful, I want to extract two ideas out of the current
      read-the-bill thread. (And since GovTrack has a moderate surplus at the
      moment, I could potentially fund one.)

      Project 1 - Version Tracking Bills

      Given two PDF versions of a bill (such as the bill as it was introduced
      and then as it was after being reported by a committee, or in the case
      in the other thread, as it was after being passed by the Senate and then
      again after it was following the conference committee), what are the
      additions, removals, and changes that were made?

      The idea is to have the effect of combining the Linux tools pdftotext
      and diff, but better. Or, to tweak that process so that the output is
      actually useful for a regular citizen.

      Project 2 - Collecting Advocacy Positions

      I want to display on GovTrack the positions of advocacy
      groups/individuals on particular bills. What I need is a way for
      independent organizations/individuals to enter their positions on
      bills/amendments/votes (support/oppose/ambivalent + comment), or to
      import their positions from e.g. blog entries, so that they end up in a
      common data format to be displayed on GovTrack (and any other site that
      wants to display it). This would entail creating a small website.

      "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
      about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report

    • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 6, 2006
        Andrew Badr wrote:
        > I'm already working Project 2 :)

        When can we all expect to see a demo? :)

        But, seriously, that's great. Keep us all posted.

        Andrew Badr wrote:

        > I'm already working Project 2 :)
        >
        > On 11/4/06, *Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us* <tauberer@...
        > <mailto:tauberer@...>> wrote:
        >
        > In case anyone on the list is bored and wants to work on a project that
        > would be really useful, I want to extract two ideas out of the current
        > read-the-bill thread. (And since GovTrack has a moderate surplus at the
        > moment, I could potentially fund one.)
        >
        > Project 1 - Version Tracking Bills
        >
        > Given two PDF versions of a bill (such as the bill as it was introduced
        > and then as it was after being reported by a committee, or in the case
        > in the other thread, as it was after being passed by the Senate and then
        > again after it was following the conference committee), what are the
        > additions, removals, and changes that were made?
        >
        > The idea is to have the effect of combining the Linux tools pdftotext
        > and diff, but better. Or, to tweak that process so that the output is
        > actually useful for a regular citizen.
        >
        > Project 2 - Collecting Advocacy Positions
        >
        > I want to display on GovTrack the positions of advocacy
        > groups/individuals on particular bills. What I need is a way for
        > independent organizations/individuals to enter their positions on
        > bills/amendments/votes (support/oppose/ambivalent + comment), or to
        > import their positions from e.g. blog entries, so that they end up in a
        > common data format to be displayed on GovTrack (and any other site that
        > wants to display it). This would entail creating a small website.
        >
        > --
        > - Joshua Tauberer
        >
        > http://razor.occams.info <http://razor.occams.info>
        >
        > "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
        > about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report

      • John DeBruyn
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 6, 2006
          Hi Joshua:

          Two great projects ... what a horse race.

          Project 2 will likely pick up more buzz in the blogosphere and in the press than project 1.

          One is probably as vital, if not more so, than 2, over the long haul.  Howver, somebody else is likely to do 2.  As a consquence doing 2 first as an adjunct of GoVTrack will do more to get GovTrack the additinal attention and traffic that it deserves. I would also surmize that project 2 would invove more time and expense and that is another reason to deffer until GovTrack gains more steam.

          Keep up the good work,

          Thanks for all that you are doing,

          John

          John DeBruyn Denver CO USA

          http://razor. occams.info

          *Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us* <tauberer@govtrack. us

          href="http://razor.occams.info">http://razor. occams.info <http://razor. occams.info>

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 6, 2006
            I'm glad to hear that people are interested. It's a friend and I working on the project. We can't devote all our time to it, but we expect to launch some time in February, and something that could be called a demo should be ready much sooner.

            Andrew

            Andrew Badr wrote:

            > I'm already working Project 2 :)
            >
            > On 11/4/06, *Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us* <tauberer@...
            > <mailto:tauberer@...>> wrote:
            >
            > In case anyone on the list is bored and wants to work on a project that
            > would be really useful, I want to extract two ideas out of the current
            > read-the-bill thread. (And since GovTrack has a moderate surplus at the
            > moment, I could potentially fund one.)
            >
            > Project 1 - Version Tracking Bills
            >
            > Given two PDF versions of a bill (such as the bill as it was introduced
            > and then as it was after being reported by a committee, or in the case
            > in the other thread, as it was after being passed by the Senate and then
            > again after it was following the conference committee), what are the
            > additions, removals, and changes that were made?
            >
            > The idea is to have the effect of combining the Linux tools pdftotext
            > and diff, but better. Or, to tweak that process so that the output is
            > actually useful for a regular citizen.
            >
            > Project 2 - Collecting Advocacy Positions
            >
            > I want to display on GovTrack the positions of advocacy
            > groups/individuals on particular bills. What I need is a way for
            > independent organizations/individuals to enter their positions on
            > bills/amendments/votes (support/oppose/ambivalent + comment), or to
            > import their positions from e.g. blog entries, so that they end up in a
            > common data format to be displayed on GovTrack (and any other site that
            > wants to display it). This would entail creating a small website.
            >
            > --
            > - Joshua Tauberer
            >
            > http://razor.occams.info < http://razor.occams.info>
            >
            > "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
            > about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report

          • Danny O'Brien
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 6, 2006
              On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 07:40:12PM -0500, Andrew Badr wrote:
              > I'm glad to hear that people are interested. It's a friend and I working on
              > the project. We can't devote all our time to it, but we expect to launch
              > some time in February, and something that could be called a demo should be
              > ready much sooner.

              Well, be sure to ask us our position -- we'd be happy to give you some
              publicity :)

              d.

              --
              Danny O'Brien,
              Activism Co-ordinator,
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
                Regarding Project 1:
                Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be compared.
                How do you envision the difference in the output being shown? Maybe it
                could create a report with details about each addition and removal.
                Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted areas or
                annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
                annotations). I'm not sure if I'll have the time to take on the project
                but with a little more information I can give it a try. In any case I
                think the information will be useful to anyone considering the project
                and I think such a tool will be invaluable.

                Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
                > In case anyone on the list is bored and wants to work on a project that
                > would be really useful, I want to extract two ideas out of the current
                > read-the-bill thread. (And since GovTrack has a moderate surplus at the
                > moment, I could potentially fund one.)
                >
                > Project 1 - Version Tracking Bills
                >
                > Given two PDF versions of a bill (such as the bill as it was introduced
                > and then as it was after being reported by a committee, or in the case
                > in the other thread, as it was after being passed by the Senate and then
                > again after it was following the conference committee), what are the
                > additions, removals, and changes that were made?
                >
                > The idea is to have the effect of combining the Linux tools pdftotext
                > and diff, but better. Or, to tweak that process so that the output is
                > actually useful for a regular citizen.
                >
                > Project 2 - Collecting Advocacy Positions
                >
                > I want to display on GovTrack the positions of advocacy
                > groups/individuals on particular bills. What I need is a way for
                > independent organizations/individuals to enter their positions on
                > bills/amendments/votes (support/oppose/ambivalent + comment), or to
                > import their positions from e.g. blog entries, so that they end up in a
                > common data format to be displayed on GovTrack (and any other site that
                > wants to display it). This would entail creating a small website.

              • Aron Pilhofer
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
                  Not sure I agree. Both projects would be valuable, but number two would
                  provide a heck of a lot more fodder for day-to-day reporting and
                  analysis than number one -- both for bloggers and those of us in the
                  so-called mainstream media. Sure, #1 would generate the occasional
                  "gotchas" and so forth, but really only if you knew when and where to
                  look. There are so many changes to legislation (heck, so much
                  legislation...period) that a version tracking system wouldn't
                  necessarily make it a whole lot easier to find those hidden gems than it
                  is now.

                  Speaking for myself, and only for myself, I think number two would be
                  the kind of killer feature that would help GovTrack gain steam. Shoot,
                  maybe it's something we could partner up on. Half the battle would be
                  getting these groups to contribute on a regular and timely basis, and
                  maybe they would have the incentive to do so if they knew it was
                  something that was going to be available to a wide audience. We'd have
                  to insist on it being completely free (as in speech) and available for
                  use by anyone, but I think that's doable.

                  Anyway, it's something I'm interested in helping out on regardless...
                  aron

                  John DeBruyn wrote:

                  > Hi Joshua:
                  >
                  > Two great projects ... what a horse race.
                  >
                  > Project 2 will likely pick up more buzz in the blogosphere and in the
                  > press than project 1.
                  >
                  > One is probably as vital, if not more so, than 2, over the long haul.
                  > Howver, somebody else is likely to do 2. As a consquence doing 2
                  > first as an adjunct of GoVTrack will do more to get GovTrack the
                  > additinal attention and traffic that it deserves. I would also surmize
                  > that project 2 would invove more time and expense and that is another
                  > reason to deffer until GovTrack gains more steam.
                  >
                  > Keep up the good work,
                  >
                  > Thanks for all that you are doing,
                  >
                  > John
                  >
                  > John DeBruyn Denver CO USA

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Aron Pilhofer
                  Database Editor,
                  The New York Times
                  Phone: 212-556-5849
                  Email: aron@...
                • Chris Kinnan
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
                    Project Vote-Smart does this to some degree...I work for a non-profit advocacy group (FreedomWorks) and they query us every year.

                    I think their site is getting crushed today by election traffic but here is the link

                    http://www.vote-smart.org/official_five_categories.php?dist=issue_rating_category.php

                    Chris

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
                      Yeah, but isn't that after the fact? You're right, their site is getting
                      crushed -- but if memory serves, those are issue ratings based on votes
                      lawmakers have made already. What we're talking about (I thought) is
                      something that would happen before the final vote on a bill... I don't
                      know of anyone that does that, or who would do it as well. :)

                      --

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Aron Pilhofer
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
                        We've built a collaborative bill tracker for progressive groups in the
                        state of Oregon. We get a feed of legislation every night and
                        import/update a database of bills. Members of the site can track bills,
                        state their position on a bill, and see others doing the same. The
                        people using it in Oregon have found it really useful, and it has helped
                        them to see allies they maybe didn't even think about.

                        Unfortunately, I can't give you a URL as it's a password protected app.

                        The key to uptake is for the tool to be useful to the people using it. A
                        bill tracker would be a helpful tool. Throw in some web 2.0-type
                        collaboration aspects, and it's fairly compelling. While we may be
                        interested in the shared benefit for the community/movement, individual
                        users are going to be focused on what the tool does for them.

                        We built our project on Plone, the open source content management
                        system. In Oregon, the bill status is provided in machine readable form
                        every night, so we don't have to do any pdf trickery. We built our 1.0
                        version very quickly last year--the core functionality for bill tracking
                        is pretty simple. If the imports are straight-forward, like they are in
                        Oregon, it's not too tough to build.

                        Steve

                        John DeBruyn wrote:

                        > Hi Joshua:
                        >
                        > Two great projects ... what a horse race.
                        >
                        > Project 2 will likely pick up more buzz in the blogosphere and in the
                        > press than project 1.
                        >
                        > One is probably as vital, if not more so, than 2, over the long haul.

                        > Howver, somebody else is likely to do 2. As a consquence doing 2
                        > first as an adjunct of GoVTrack will do more to get GovTrack the
                        > additinal attention and traffic that it deserves. I would also surmize

                        > that project 2 would invove more time and expense and that is another
                        > reason to deffer until GovTrack gains more steam.
                        >
                        > Keep up the good work,
                        >
                        > Thanks for all that you are doing,
                        >
                        > John
                        >
                        > John DeBruyn Denver CO USA

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Joe Germuska
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 7, 2006
                          At 7:53 AM -0800 11/7/06, Steve Andersen wrote:
                          >Unfortunately, I can't give you a URL as it's a password protected app.

                          Why is it password protected? Is it not possible
                          to have something like that public without it
                          being "poisoned"? (I ask honestly.) Or was it
                          more a "we're just getting started, so let's keep
                          it in the family."

                          >We built our project on Plone, the open source content management
                          >system. In Oregon, the bill status is provided in machine readable form
                          >every night, so we don't have to do any pdf trickery.

                          Good for Oregon! Where are these documents served? Do other states do this?

                          Joe

                          --
                          Joe Germuska
                          Joe@... * http://blog.germuska.com

                          "The truth is that we learned from João forever to be out of tune."
                          -- Caetano Veloso
                        • Steve Andersen
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
                            It's a project we did for customers, and one of their requirements was for it to be an invite-only system. The work these folks do around bills and fighting for their positions is very adversarial, and the tools they use are kept pretty close to the vest.

                            The import is done from ftp://landru.leg.state.or.us/pub

                            Steve

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
                              Scott Willeke wrote:
                              > Regarding Project 1:
                              > Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be compared.

                              Hi, Scott. Take these two:

                              http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95rds.pdf
                              http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95enr.pdf

                              The first is the resolution after it was passed by the House (at the
                              time it was received in the Senate). The second is the final form of
                              the bill (as it was "enrolled") after the Senate passed it as well.
                              From a cursory look it seems the Senate tacked on some stuff at the end,
                              between the versions.

                              > How do you envision the difference in the output being shown?

                              A list of changes, highlighting, whatever -- as long as it can filter
                              out a whole variety of unimportant formatting changes, like line
                              numbering, section numbering, line wrapping, etc.

                              The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
                              (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                              addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                              differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.

                              Then strip out the formatting things that I mentioned above. (Obviously
                              not trivial for line wrapping, for instance.)

                              Then run a diff, but one would have to figure out how to format the
                              output of the diff so it looks like a bill again. (I have some thoughts
                              on that, for future reference, but I won't get into it now.)

                              > Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted areas or
                              > annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
                              > annotations).

                              It's easier to view and navigate in HTML, so I don't think that's as
                              important, but interesting.

                              Difficult, but not impossible. I hope you give it a shot.

                              -

                            • yahoogroups-backupemail@msmith.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 8, 2006
                                On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
                                > The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
                                > (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                                > addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                                > differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.

                                there's a fork of pdftotext (also free) which has very
                                useful -html and -xml output flags which might be a
                                better place to start from if you don't have tools already.

                                http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/

                                Sam
                                www.disruptiveproactivity.com

                                --
                                May you always be as vivid as your hallucinations.
                              • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                                  yahoogroups-backupemail@... wrote:
                                  > On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
                                  >> The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text versions
                                  >> (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                                  >> addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                                  >> differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.
                                  >
                                  > there's a fork of pdftotext (also free) which has very
                                  > useful -html and -xml output flags which might be a
                                  > better place to start from if you don't have tools already.
                                  >
                                  > http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/ <http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/>

                                  Ahha, I think that could be useful. Thanks for the pointer. (It's
                                  actually been integrated in the poppler-utils RPM for Fedora Core 6, if
                                  that's useful for anyone.)

                                  For reference, the two PDFs in HTML with pdftohtml are:

                                  http://www.govtrack.us/hc95rds.html
                                  http://www.govtrack.us/hc95enr.html

                                  It's not getting the alignment of lines quite right, splitting up things
                                  on the same line, but that might not impact the task anyway since
                                  different line breaks between versions has to be ignored anyway.

                                  "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
                                  about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report
                                • Scott Burns
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                                    Instead of trying to convert PDFs and remove formatting you can get
                                    basic HTML versions of these bills from Thomas. This bill, for
                                    example, can be found here:

                                    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:

                                    From that page select the link to "Text of Legislation". You'll
                                    then be presented with a list of the different versions from
                                    different stages of the process. Pick the one you want there by
                                    selecting the link and, then, on the next page select "Printer
                                    Friendly Display". You'll then get a basic HTML display that, while
                                    somewhat ugly (see the source) should be parse-able into a DOM and
                                    then compared node-for-node to another version to find diffs.

                                    I haven't played around with the queries there enough to figure out
                                    if there's a reliable URL to get directly to the text display of the
                                    version you want, though getting to the bill summary page is easy.
                                    It shouldn't be hard to script a bot to do the navigation.

                                    HTH ...s.

                                    On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:

                                    > Scott Willeke wrote:
                                    > > Regarding Project 1:
                                    > > Can you recommend an example or two with PDFs that could be
                                    > compared.
                                    >
                                    > Hi, Scott. Take these two:
                                    >
                                    > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95rds.pdf
                                    > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/109/hc/hc95enr.pdf
                                    >
                                    > The first is the resolution after it was passed by the House (at the
                                    > time it was received in the Senate). The second is the final form of
                                    > the bill (as it was "enrolled") after the Senate passed it as well.
                                    > From a cursory look it seems the Senate tacked on some stuff at the
                                    > end,
                                    > between the versions.
                                    >
                                    > > How do you envision the difference in the output being shown?
                                    >
                                    > A list of changes, highlighting, whatever -- as long as it can filter
                                    > out a whole variety of unimportant formatting changes, like line
                                    > numbering, section numbering, line wrapping, etc.
                                    >
                                    > The first step is to convert it to text -- you can see the text
                                    > versions
                                    > (from "pdftotext -layout -nopgbrk") that GovTrack makes at the same
                                    > addresses, just replace .pdf with .txt. Without "-layout" you get a
                                    > differently formatted text version that could be more useful for this.
                                    >
                                    > Then strip out the formatting things that I mentioned above.
                                    > (Obviously
                                    > not trivial for line wrapping, for instance.)
                                    >
                                    > Then run a diff, but one would have to figure out how to format the
                                    > output of the diff so it looks like a bill again. (I have some
                                    > thoughts
                                    > on that, for future reference, but I won't get into it now.)
                                    >
                                    > > Alternatively, a completely new PDF document with highlighted
                                    > areas or
                                    > > annotations could be shown (e.g. something like MS Word's diff
                                    > > annotations).
                                    >
                                    > It's easier to view and navigate in HTML, so I don't think that's as
                                    > important, but interesting.
                                    >
                                    > Difficult, but not impossible. I hope you give it a shot.
                                    >
                                    > -
                                    > - Joshua Tauberer
                                    >
                                    > http://razor.occams.info
                                    >
                                    > "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
                                    > about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report

                                    --
                                    Scott Burns, Staff Technologist <sburns@...>
                                    Public Knowledge <http://www.publicknowledge.org>

                                    -- Fortifying and Defending a Vibrant Information Commons
                                  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 9, 2006
                                      Scott Burns wrote:
                                      > Instead of trying to convert PDFs and remove formatting you can get
                                      > basic HTML versions of these bills from Thomas. This bill, for
                                      > example, can be found here:
                                      >
                                      > http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:
                                      > <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.CON.RES.95:>

                                      Right, I forgot that Thomas's HTML versions are pretty good.

                                      > I haven't played around with the queries there enough to figure out
                                      > if there's a reliable URL to get directly to the text display of the
                                      > version you want

                                      Not as far as I know also.

                                      In that case, the task may be a lot easier. Convert the HTML into XML,
                                      and then run a difference with an XML differencing tool, such as xmldiff
                                      (a Python script, very slow when I tried it just now, but seems to
                                      actually be useful for this project and can read the HTML directly) or
                                      XyDiff:

                                      http://gemo.futurs.inria.fr/software/XyDiff/cdrom/www/xydiff/index-eng.htm

                                      Which might do the same thing faster and better, but I haven't tried.
                                      It's in C++ and needs to be compiled.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 26, 2007
                                        http://federallink.org/

                                        There are several aspects of the site that aren't ready for public consumption, like the long lists of data and overall ugliness, but I want to get some feedback, starting with you fine folks on the govtrack mailing list.

                                        Beyond feedback, I'm looking for permanent help with coding, design, or establishing relationships with advocacy groups.

                                        -Andrew

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 27, 2007
                                          Andrew Badr wrote:
                                          > http://federallink.org/ <http://federallink.org/>
                                          >
                                          > There are several aspects of the site that aren't ready for public
                                          > consumption, like the long lists of data and overall ugliness, but I
                                          > want to get some feedback, starting with you fine folks on the govtrack
                                          > mailing list.
                                          >
                                          > Beyond feedback, I'm looking for permanent help with coding, design, or
                                          > establishing relationships with advocacy groups.

                                          Hey, Andrew.

                                          (Btw, apparently we know someone in common. Small world...)

                                          The site looks great. I look forward to being able to link from GovTrack
                                          to FederalLink (and hopefully to include some stats from your site on
                                          GovTrack).

                                          When you correlate the patterns of two advocacy groups, how do you
                                          select which groups to show (given the one the user is looking at)?

                                          I'd love to see some graphical representations of the data (the same way
                                          I made my political spectrum, for instance).

                                        • Nancy Berry
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 27, 2007
                                            I went in and registered...easy, and then went into bills...great work!

                                            Nancy Berry