Re: [govtrack] Re: Reading the bill

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2006

      and Joe Germuska wrote:
      > So, there's "H. Res. 709: Amending the Rules of
      > the House of Representatives to ensure that
      > Members have a reasonable amount of time to read
      > legislation that will... "
      > <http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hr109-709

      There's also the similar H Res 688, pushed by readthebill.org:
      http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hr109-688

      When I have some free time (not likely to be any time soon), I think I
      may set up a section on GovTrack highlighting these and the other bills
      aiming to improve transparency, with some commentary. I'm hesitant to
      create a "GovTrack action center" type thing, since it would be the only
      part of the site taking an actual political position, but it seems
      reasonable, right?

      OTOH, it would be nice to have that be a part of a larger component of
      GovTrack that organizes the positions of advocacy groups, which I've
      wanted to do for a long time but haven't gotten to. (More on that next
      email.)

      Joe goes on:
      > How are subsequent versions of bills processed?
      > How do staffers find the differences between
      > editions?
      (...snip...)
      > More generally, are there things we should
      > encourage our legislators to restructure
      > government to make GovTrack (and things like it)
      > even more able to do what they set out to do?

      I'd like to hear more on what people think about that too.

      "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
      about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report
    • dale
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2006
        so I found some time to check out the people.xml file ;) ...much nicer
        than screen scraping the government website ;) I will be using that xml
        file for future people updates :)

        so now I have imported gov_track_ids for every person so its easy to
        make quick pointers. gov_track ids have been linked like so:
        http://metavid.ucsc.edu/gov_track/300037 -> points to Byron Dorgan
        I could make a direct pointer to the first page of html search results &
        or rss "view" if desired... what I should really do is a have a
        function that groups together sequential appearances of a given person
        so that speeches show up as a single item...(another thing for the
        todolist :)

        looking to the future... you might want to check out
        http://metavid.ucsc.edu/wiki/index.php/External_embed
        relevant video clips could then be embeded in the page alongside the
        textual record (so that people would not have to leave your site to view
        the clips)...that level of integration would probably require some work
        on my end as well ;)

        I am running fedora core 6 and the java applet works but I had to
        install the sun java jre and point firefox to the correct location
        something like:

        ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

        by "live archived" I mean we will be updating the site database in real
        time as things happen on the house and senate floor and linking to that
        video... so that a search for person x or text phrase y would include
        up-to-the minute appearances/transcripts, as well as letting people tune
        into a live high quality ogg theora reusable broadcast... currently we
        do everything in post processing after the day is over... the major
        hurdle for this technology to be put in place is the on screen analysis
        that has to be done to determine if its public domain footage or C-SPAN
        proprietary stuff... we are (slowly) getting closer to having this
        functional ....

        Things would faster if I had more time...I am currently working full
        time for a different academic project which deals with online political
        conversation analysis... I will announce it here when it comes online as
        I think it may be of interest to some of the people on this list ;)

        --michael

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
          > so I found some time to check out the people.xml file ;) ...much nicer
          > than screen scraping the government website ;) I will be using that xml
          > file for future people updates :)

          Great.

          > so now I have imported gov_track_ids for every person so its easy to
          > make quick pointers. gov_track ids have been linked like so:
          > http://metavid.ucsc.edu/gov_track/300037

          Very nice. Let me know when I should add a link from GovTrack.

          > looking to the future... you might want to check out
          > http://metavid.ucsc.edu/wiki/index.php/External_embed
          > <http://metavid.ucsc.edu/wiki/index.php/External_embed>
          > relevant video clips could then be embeded in the page alongside the
          > textual record (so that people would not have to leave your site to view
          > the clips)...that level of integration would probably require some work
          > on my end as well ;)

          Really great. I can't wait to do that.

          > I am running fedora core 6 and the java applet works but I had to
          > install the sun java jre and point firefox to the correct location
          > something like:
          >
          > ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
          > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

          I think I've done that (other java things work OK) but I end up with my
          CPU going to 100% and nothing happening.

          > I am currently working full
          > time for a different academic project which deals with online political
          > conversation analysis... I will announce it here when it comes online as
          > I think it may be of interest to some of the people on this list ;)

          It's at least of interest to me! (owing to my linguistics life)