Re: [govtrack] Reading the bill

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2006
      Michael Dale wrote:
      > Also in metavid news we should soon be doing live archived broadcasts of
      > the house and floor.

      "live archived"?

      > along with a more compatible java ogg theora player :)

      Nice. It doesn't really work with Firefox in Linux right now, so
      that'll be great.

      > Joshua, I am still keen to move forward on integrations with govTrak ...
      > is there a list somewhere on the site listing senator names & their IDs?

      Yep, see the file people.xml linked from:
      http://www.govtrack.us/source.xpd

      But don't open it in your browser -- it's big.

      I'm still looking forward to the day I can link from GovTrack to the
      videos on Metavid.

      "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
      about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report
    • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2006

        and Joe Germuska wrote:
        > So, there's "H. Res. 709: Amending the Rules of
        > the House of Representatives to ensure that
        > Members have a reasonable amount of time to read
        > legislation that will... "
        > <http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hr109-709

        There's also the similar H Res 688, pushed by readthebill.org:
        http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hr109-688

        When I have some free time (not likely to be any time soon), I think I
        may set up a section on GovTrack highlighting these and the other bills
        aiming to improve transparency, with some commentary. I'm hesitant to
        create a "GovTrack action center" type thing, since it would be the only
        part of the site taking an actual political position, but it seems
        reasonable, right?

        OTOH, it would be nice to have that be a part of a larger component of
        GovTrack that organizes the positions of advocacy groups, which I've
        wanted to do for a long time but haven't gotten to. (More on that next
        email.)

        Joe goes on:
        > How are subsequent versions of bills processed?
        > How do staffers find the differences between
        > editions?
        (...snip...)
        > More generally, are there things we should
        > encourage our legislators to restructure
        > government to make GovTrack (and things like it)
        > even more able to do what they set out to do?

        I'd like to hear more on what people think about that too.

        "Strike up the klezmer and start acting like a man. You're
        about to have a truth-mitzvah." -- The Colbert Report
      • dale
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2006
          so I found some time to check out the people.xml file ;) ...much nicer
          than screen scraping the government website ;) I will be using that xml
          file for future people updates :)

          so now I have imported gov_track_ids for every person so its easy to
          make quick pointers. gov_track ids have been linked like so:
          http://metavid.ucsc.edu/gov_track/300037 -> points to Byron Dorgan
          I could make a direct pointer to the first page of html search results &
          or rss "view" if desired... what I should really do is a have a
          function that groups together sequential appearances of a given person
          so that speeches show up as a single item...(another thing for the
          todolist :)

          looking to the future... you might want to check out
          http://metavid.ucsc.edu/wiki/index.php/External_embed
          relevant video clips could then be embeded in the page alongside the
          textual record (so that people would not have to leave your site to view
          the clips)...that level of integration would probably require some work
          on my end as well ;)

          I am running fedora core 6 and the java applet works but I had to
          install the sun java jre and point firefox to the correct location
          something like:

          ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

          by "live archived" I mean we will be updating the site database in real
          time as things happen on the house and senate floor and linking to that
          video... so that a search for person x or text phrase y would include
          up-to-the minute appearances/transcripts, as well as letting people tune
          into a live high quality ogg theora reusable broadcast... currently we
          do everything in post processing after the day is over... the major
          hurdle for this technology to be put in place is the on screen analysis
          that has to be done to determine if its public domain footage or C-SPAN
          proprietary stuff... we are (slowly) getting closer to having this
          functional ....

          Things would faster if I had more time...I am currently working full
          time for a different academic project which deals with online political
          conversation analysis... I will announce it here when it comes online as
          I think it may be of interest to some of the people on this list ;)

          --michael

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 29, 2006
            > so I found some time to check out the people.xml file ;) ...much nicer
            > than screen scraping the government website ;) I will be using that xml
            > file for future people updates :)

            Great.

            > so now I have imported gov_track_ids for every person so its easy to
            > make quick pointers. gov_track ids have been linked like so:
            > http://metavid.ucsc.edu/gov_track/300037

            Very nice. Let me know when I should add a link from GovTrack.

            > looking to the future... you might want to check out
            > http://metavid.ucsc.edu/wiki/index.php/External_embed
            > <http://metavid.ucsc.edu/wiki/index.php/External_embed>
            > relevant video clips could then be embeded in the page alongside the
            > textual record (so that people would not have to leave your site to view
            > the clips)...that level of integration would probably require some work
            > on my end as well ;)

            Really great. I can't wait to do that.

            > I am running fedora core 6 and the java applet works but I had to
            > install the sun java jre and point firefox to the correct location
            > something like:
            >
            > ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
            > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

            I think I've done that (other java things work OK) but I end up with my
            CPU going to 100% and nothing happening.

            > I am currently working full
            > time for a different academic project which deals with online political
            > conversation analysis... I will announce it here when it comes online as
            > I think it may be of interest to some of the people on this list ;)

            It's at least of interest to me! (owing to my linguistics life)