Short-term agenda

  • Joshua Tauberer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 22, 2005
      For those curious, here's what's happening behind the scenes lately.

      First, a blurb in the New York Times about GovTrack is supposed to
      appear one of these days. Keep an eye on the Circuits section.

      Secondly, now that GovTrack is pretty much functionally complete, I'm
      shifting my focus to how websites with similar goals as GovTrack can
      share data, collaborate, and generally benefit from each other. This is
      partly what we've been talking about here regarding making the
      California-level data compatible in some sense with GovTrack's data.

      Hopefully in the next few weeks there will be a new website that will be
      a place for a community about this to develop. Once the website is up,
      I'm going to start bringing in other people interested in hacking out an
      RDF data model for political information, and then we'll start to decide
      on the specifics of the data model (e.g. how to assign IDs to politicians).

      And from there, a semantic web of political information could start to
      form. That'll be pretty neat.

    • Scott Beardsley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 24, 2005
        --- Joshua Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
        > You need to see a specific "I allow you to do
        > this" message to use anything.

        I think this is very sad but also very true.

        > But, when things become legislation I believe they
        > lose their ability to be copyrighted.

        I think our biggest hurdle (with respect to copyright)
        will be the Legislative Counsel which is responsible
        for protecting the legislature from lawsuits. I've
        heard that they can be unreasonable protective of what
        they allow into the public.

        > > It's my assumption that since
        > > you've significantly altered that data, the
        > outputted product is "new"
        > > and therefore can lie under a new copyright of
        > your choosing.

        It'd be interesting to know what "signifiacntly
        altered" really is... Can i just change the case of a
        few words?

        > If the source is copyrighted, I would
        > avoid doing anything with it without permission.

        I agree. So we have to find the grant into PD for all
        our sources.

        Although we could leave it to the end user to track
        what is PD and what isn't I think since we are
        gathering the data we should also provide information
        on licensing or copyrights. Imagine ten years down the
        line with a huge repo of data and no idea what's legal
        and what's not.

        I just was reading about PD (at
        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/):

        "A certifier has taken reasonable steps to verify the
        copyright status of this work. Certifier recognizes
        that his good faith efforts may not shield him from
        liability if in fact the work certified is not in the
        public domain."

        So basically we are obligated to determine the
        licensing status of the content we host.

        From leginfo.ca.gov (maintained by the Leg Counsel at
        http://www.legislature.ca.gov/footer/use_privacy_policy.html):

        "Some of the information presented on this web site
        may be protected by copyright. Permission to use that
        material must be obtained in advance..."

        Scott

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Scott Beardsley
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 24, 2005
          --- Joshua Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:

          > First, a blurb in the New York Times about GovTrack
          > is supposed to appear one of these days.

          Congrats. That's excellent news. I'm happy to see
          mainstream media catching up with what's happening.

          > Hopefully in the next few weeks there will be a new
          > website that will be
          > a place for a community about this to develop.

          Is this the govshare that I've been seeing random
          places?

          > Once the website is up,
          > I'm going to start bringing in other people
          > interested in hacking out an
          > RDF data model for political information, and then
          > we'll start to decide
          > on the specifics of the data model (e.g. how to
          > assign IDs to politicians).

          I don't know much about RDF (yet) but I'd like to be
          on that list of ppl.

          > That'll be pretty neat.

          Who are you kiddin, that'll be f___in AWESOME!

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 24, 2005
            I also wanted to add that I think many people
            (particularly those currently serving as elected
            officials) may feel threatened by govtrack and its
            spawn. Govtrack will bring a shift in the way
            government operates (from ignorant to informed
            populus). I think it's important to stay within the
            boundaries of the existing system until we have enough
            support and interest to push those boundaries in the
            people's favor.

            Scott

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Joshua Tauberer
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 24, 2005
              Scott Beardsley wrote:
              >>You need to see a specific "I allow you to do
              >>this" message to use anything.
              >
              > I think this is very sad but also very true.

              I think it's pretty fair. Before the ~1979 changes to copyright law,
              you had to pay a fee and formally register works with the goverment to
              obtain a copyright, which was a somewhat prohibitive process if you're
              an individual and not a big publisher. So, the fact that everything is
              automatically copyrighted puts us on the same playing field as the big
              corporations. There are other aspects of copyright law that I'd agree
              are sad but true...

              > It'd be interesting to know what "signifiacntly
              > altered" really is... Can i just change the case of a
              > few words?

              No, but the law is generally vague about this. The only way to know if
              it's a legitimate action is if you're sued and ultimately found not
              guilty. Not a great way to find out.

              >>If the source is copyrighted, I would
              >>avoid doing anything with it without permission.
              >
              > I agree. So we have to find the grant into PD for all
              > our sources.

              Except legislation (I'll go looking for some precedent about this at
              some point, but I'm pretty sure it's already been tested in court) and
              the status of legislation (which are facts and, IMO, not copyrightable
              in the first place). For these things, I really wouldn't worry about
              it. If you're gathering other types of data, it's more of a concern.
              (Are you gathering other things?)

              > Imagine ten years down the
              > line with a huge repo of data and no idea what's legal
              > and what's not.

              Agreed.

              > So basically we are obligated to determine the
              > licensing status of the content we host.

              Most definitely.

              >>First, a blurb in the New York Times about GovTrack
              >>> is supposed to appear one of these days.
              >
              > Congrats. That's excellent news. I'm happy to see
              > mainstream media catching up with what's happening.

              Well, hold the congrats till we actually see it in print. :)

              >>Hopefully in the next few weeks there will be a new
              >>> website that will be
              >>> a place for a community about this to develop.
              >
              > Is this the govshare that I've been seeing random
              > places?

              In the preliminary RDF files. That was my original idea, but that may
              not pan out. We'll see.

              > I also wanted to add that I think many people
              > (particularly those currently serving as elected
              > officials) may feel threatened by govtrack and its
              > spawn.

              Excellent! :)