Fwd: Grassroots grants available

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13 4:54 AM
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Grassroots grants available
      Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:29:31 -0400 (EDT)
      From: Zephyr Teachout, Sunlight Foundation
      <zteachout@...>
      To: tauberer@...

      Dear Sunlight member,

      Sunlight has mini-grants to give away, and I hope you, your local
      nonprofit, or your group of friends, apply for one.

      I know many of you have ideas about how to reclaim our representative
      democracy. Maybe your idea is about citizen journalism, or about making
      your Congressperson more open or accessible – an idea that you rant
      about over beers with friends, or scheme about with your carpool, or
      mull over just before you fall asleep.

      If actually launching the idea would cost $5,000 or less (we’re guessing
      most grants will be in the $1000 to $2000 range) and its a project that
      tends toward shifting the power from Washington to citizens, submit a
      one page proposal to me at zteachout@.... Include a
      budget (including the amount requested from Sunlight) and a paragraph
      about the goals and who is involved.

      We just announced the mini-grants yesterday
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=jqyp9wbab.0.vews9wbab.ucmrgwbab.416&ts=S0196&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sunlightfoundation.com%2Fnode%2F897>,
      and we already received a small pile of provocative ideas. I hope you
      add yours to it.

      We welcome proposals from existing small nonprofits, local or regional
      chapters of national organizations and groups of individuals or
      bloggers. You can ask for a grant to augment existing projects or to
      jumpstart new ones. Grants will be made available on a rolling basis
      starting July 15.

      If you don’t have an idea yourself, pass this on to a friend who does,
      or to a blogger who can announce it locally.

      Open honest representation is possible – but we don’t have it now in
      America, and we believe that only citizens, connected to each other and
      driven by creativity and will, can make it happen. We hope that these
      mini-grants will encourage you in your efforts as well as help you
      connect to others. Together we are all more powerful.

      If you have questions in the meantime, or suggestions of others we
      should reach out to to announce these grants, please call Ellen Rice at
      202-742-1520 or email her at SunlightUser3@....

      I really look forward to hearing from you.

      Thanks,

      Zephyr Teachout
      National Director
      Sunlight Foundation
      www.sunlightfoundation.com
      <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=jqyp9wbab.0.wews9wbab.ucmrgwbab.416&ts=S0196&p=http%3Awww.sunlightfoundation.com>

      PS: We don't want to prejudge what might come in the door, but here are
      a couple of hypothetical examples that might jump-start your thinking:

      *

      An Austin, TX website that aggregates news and commentary on local
      issues and blogs about it might seek a grant to expand their work
      to cover their Congressional delegation. The money they request is
      for travel, a video camera, Lexis-Nexis access.

      *

      A group of students in Miami want to investigate the placement of
      a controversial landfill so they ask for a grant to pay for
      research that seeks to show that business interests which may have
      supported local politicians may have distorted decision-making
      regarding placement of the landfill. Their grant funds the
      investigative report and its broadcasting on the web.

      *

      Citizen Porkbusters in Kansas wants a grant to create an online
      video to educate other citizens about the powerful moneyed
      interests behind the promotion of ethanol. They plan to place the
      video on YouTube.

      <http://ui.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&m=1101330427988&ea=tauberer%40govtrack.us&se=416&t=1101351346697&lang=en&reason=F>

      This email was sent to tauberer@..., by
      zteachout@...
      <mailto:zteachout@...>
      Update Profile/Email Address

      <http://ui.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=oo&m=1101330427988&ea=tauberer%40govtrack.us&se=416&t=1101351346697&lang=en&reason=F>
      | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe

      <http://ui.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&m=1101330427988&ea=tauberer%40govtrack.us&se=416&t=1101351346697&lang=en&reason=F>™
      | Privacy Policy
      <http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.

      Powered by
      <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=custom01>

      Sunlight Foundation | 901 15th Street NW, Suite 350 | Washington |
      DC | 20005
    • Jeremy Dunck
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 13 5:45 AM
        On 7/13/06, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us <tauberer@...> wrote:
> [...]

        Thanks for sending this on. I just saw their state campaign funding
        API yesterday. Great stuff. :)
      • Francis Calub
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13 6:18 PM
          Thanks :) I have been wondering where to get some
          funding while I find some VCs or aAngel Investors for
          VotersDomain.com . I'd like to grow this thing into
          something really big and this will help me do that.

          http://mail.yahoo.com