Re: [govtrack] Re: XML versions of Congressional Record debates

  • Bryan Helmkamp
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
      Hi, Josh.

      On 2/21/06, Joshua Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
      > Right. They often go on for pages with the text of legislation,
      > amendments, and roll calls that quickly clutter up the main purpose of
      > the files. I'm sure I could just set a flag to keep them in, although
      > I wouldn't want to do that for GovTrack.

      In those cases, what I'd like to do is display it like GovTrack does,
      but add a link to view the hidden content if you wish.

      > Heh, well, it's a bit more than that. The person-name-to-id system is
      > tied to a database which you wouldn't have access to, for instance.
      > The roll call votes stuff (which you may not be interested in now) is
      > tied to various data files and programs to generate the maps.

      If I had to do this from scratch, I'd have to write a name-to-id
      matching system anyway, and I'm not interested in the roll call votes
      just yet.

      Basically, if you could just dump the relavent portion of source on
      me, I've got a lot of free time together and I could get it going. I
      think that would be ideal for both of us, short term.

      What do you think?

      -Bryan

      --
      http://www.MyCongress.org/ -- coming soon
    • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
        Bryan Helmkamp wrote:
        > Basically, if you could just dump the relavent portion of source on
        > me, I've got a lot of free time together and I could get it going. I
        > think that would be ideal for both of us, short term.

        But maybe a very short term. The next time someone wants to use the
        sources, I don't want to go through the pain of re-explaining how it
        comes together, how to set up the people db, etc. Plus there's no way
        for us to keep our versions in sync as changes are made (including
        changes to the database of people, for instance).

        I guess the thing is that opening up the scripts is a low priority for
        me (sorry), especially if it's just a short-term solution. I would much
        rather enhance my scripts so that all of the original information makes
        it into files downloadable in the data directory, and then you can just
        use that.

        "Unfortunately, we're having this discussion. It's too bad,
        because guess who listens to the discussion: the enemy."