Re: [govtrack] XML versions of Congressional Record debates

  • Bryan Helmkamp
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 20, 2006
      Joshua,

      One big thing I'd like to do is get the parser to output into a SQL
      database, as opposed to just XML.

      Besides that, I'd like to take a look at the possibility of making
      some incremental improvements... for example, perhaps it would be
      possible to keep track of who is the chair at any given time.

      Another thing I noticed is sometimes narrative actions in the CR
      source don't get included in your XML. I'd like to see about getting
      those all in there.

      If you're game for it, don't worry about tidying up the source code.
      I won't hold any GOTO statements against you. :) I'd just rather dig
      in asap.

      Let me know.

      -Bryan

      On 2/20/06, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us <tauberer@...> wrote:
      > Hey, Bryan.
      >
      > I've thought about it, and I'm not immediately opposed to it. But, it
      > would take some effort to tidy things up, and to set up a svn
      > repository, before I could do that. I'm also not eager to give the
      > commercial services any freebies. And lastly, no one has expressed a
      > real interest in contributing before.
      >
      > If you're really serious about it, I'll put that on my list of things to do.
      >
      > Is there anything in particular you'd be interested in doing/improving
      > with the parsers?
      >
      > --
      > - Joshua Tauberer
      >
      > http://taubz.for.net
      >
      > "Unfortunately, we're having this discussion. It's too bad,
      > because guess who listens to the discussion: the enemy."

      http://www.MyCongress.org/ -- coming soon
    • Joshua Tauberer
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 21, 2006
        --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Helmkamp" <helmkam1@...> wrote:
        > One big thing I'd like to do is get the parser to output into a SQL
        > database, as opposed to just XML.

        Ok...

        > Besides that, I'd like to take a look at the possibility of making
        > some incremental improvements... for example, perhaps it would be
        > possible to keep track of who is the chair at any given time.

        I haven't even noticed that information in the record.

        > Another thing I noticed is sometimes narrative actions in the CR
        > source don't get included in your XML. I'd like to see about getting
        > those all in there.

        Right. They often go on for pages with the text of legislation,
        amendments, and roll calls that quickly clutter up the main purpose of
        the files. I'm sure I could just set a flag to keep them in, although
        I wouldn't want to do that for GovTrack.

        > If you're game for it, don't worry about tidying up the source code.
        > I won't hold any GOTO statements against you. :) I'd just rather dig
        > in asap.

        Heh, well, it's a bit more than that. The person-name-to-id system is
        tied to a database which you wouldn't have access to, for instance.
        The roll call votes stuff (which you may not be interested in now) is
        tied to various data files and programs to generate the maps.

        (For some reason I didn't get your message, although Yahoo says it
        sent it, so I'm replying via Yahoo. Strange.)

        - Josh
      • Bryan Helmkamp
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
          Hi, Josh.

          On 2/21/06, Joshua Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
          > Right. They often go on for pages with the text of legislation,
          > amendments, and roll calls that quickly clutter up the main purpose of
          > the files. I'm sure I could just set a flag to keep them in, although
          > I wouldn't want to do that for GovTrack.

          In those cases, what I'd like to do is display it like GovTrack does,
          but add a link to view the hidden content if you wish.

          > Heh, well, it's a bit more than that. The person-name-to-id system is
          > tied to a database which you wouldn't have access to, for instance.
          > The roll call votes stuff (which you may not be interested in now) is
          > tied to various data files and programs to generate the maps.

          If I had to do this from scratch, I'd have to write a name-to-id
          matching system anyway, and I'm not interested in the roll call votes
          just yet.

          Basically, if you could just dump the relavent portion of source on
          me, I've got a lot of free time together and I could get it going. I
          think that would be ideal for both of us, short term.

          What do you think?

          -Bryan

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
            Bryan Helmkamp wrote:
            > Basically, if you could just dump the relavent portion of source on
            > me, I've got a lot of free time together and I could get it going. I
            > think that would be ideal for both of us, short term.

            But maybe a very short term. The next time someone wants to use the
            sources, I don't want to go through the pain of re-explaining how it
            comes together, how to set up the people db, etc. Plus there's no way
            for us to keep our versions in sync as changes are made (including
            changes to the database of people, for instance).

            I guess the thing is that opening up the scripts is a low priority for
            me (sorry), especially if it's just a short-term solution. I would much
            rather enhance my scripts so that all of the original information makes
            it into files downloadable in the data directory, and then you can just
            use that.