Re: [govtrack] XML versions of Congressional Record debates

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 20, 2006
      Bryan Helmkamp wrote:
      > Have you ever thought about opening the parser source code for collaboration?

      Hey, Bryan.

      I've thought about it, and I'm not immediately opposed to it. But, it
      would take some effort to tidy things up, and to set up a svn
      repository, before I could do that. I'm also not eager to give the
      commercial services any freebies. And lastly, no one has expressed a
      real interest in contributing before.

      If you're really serious about it, I'll put that on my list of things to do.

      Is there anything in particular you'd be interested in doing/improving
      with the parsers?

      "Unfortunately, we're having this discussion. It's too bad,
      because guess who listens to the discussion: the enemy."
    • Bryan Helmkamp
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 20, 2006
        Joshua,

        One big thing I'd like to do is get the parser to output into a SQL
        database, as opposed to just XML.

        Besides that, I'd like to take a look at the possibility of making
        some incremental improvements... for example, perhaps it would be
        possible to keep track of who is the chair at any given time.

        Another thing I noticed is sometimes narrative actions in the CR
        source don't get included in your XML. I'd like to see about getting
        those all in there.

        If you're game for it, don't worry about tidying up the source code.
        I won't hold any GOTO statements against you. :) I'd just rather dig
        in asap.

        Let me know.

        -Bryan

        On 2/20/06, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us <tauberer@...> wrote:
        > Hey, Bryan.
        >
        > I've thought about it, and I'm not immediately opposed to it. But, it
        > would take some effort to tidy things up, and to set up a svn
        > repository, before I could do that. I'm also not eager to give the
        > commercial services any freebies. And lastly, no one has expressed a
        > real interest in contributing before.
        >
        > If you're really serious about it, I'll put that on my list of things to do.
        >
        > Is there anything in particular you'd be interested in doing/improving
        > with the parsers?
        >
        > --
        > - Joshua Tauberer
        >
        > http://taubz.for.net
        >
        > "Unfortunately, we're having this discussion. It's too bad,
        > because guess who listens to the discussion: the enemy."

        http://www.MyCongress.org/ -- coming soon
      • Joshua Tauberer
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 21, 2006
          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Helmkamp" <helmkam1@...> wrote:
          > One big thing I'd like to do is get the parser to output into a SQL
          > database, as opposed to just XML.

          Ok...

          > Besides that, I'd like to take a look at the possibility of making
          > some incremental improvements... for example, perhaps it would be
          > possible to keep track of who is the chair at any given time.

          I haven't even noticed that information in the record.

          > Another thing I noticed is sometimes narrative actions in the CR
          > source don't get included in your XML. I'd like to see about getting
          > those all in there.

          Right. They often go on for pages with the text of legislation,
          amendments, and roll calls that quickly clutter up the main purpose of
          the files. I'm sure I could just set a flag to keep them in, although
          I wouldn't want to do that for GovTrack.

          > If you're game for it, don't worry about tidying up the source code.
          > I won't hold any GOTO statements against you. :) I'd just rather dig
          > in asap.

          Heh, well, it's a bit more than that. The person-name-to-id system is
          tied to a database which you wouldn't have access to, for instance.
          The roll call votes stuff (which you may not be interested in now) is
          tied to various data files and programs to generate the maps.

          (For some reason I didn't get your message, although Yahoo says it
          sent it, so I'm replying via Yahoo. Strange.)

          - Josh
        • Bryan Helmkamp
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
            Hi, Josh.

            On 2/21/06, Joshua Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
            > Right. They often go on for pages with the text of legislation,
            > amendments, and roll calls that quickly clutter up the main purpose of
            > the files. I'm sure I could just set a flag to keep them in, although
            > I wouldn't want to do that for GovTrack.

            In those cases, what I'd like to do is display it like GovTrack does,
            but add a link to view the hidden content if you wish.

            > Heh, well, it's a bit more than that. The person-name-to-id system is
            > tied to a database which you wouldn't have access to, for instance.
            > The roll call votes stuff (which you may not be interested in now) is
            > tied to various data files and programs to generate the maps.

            If I had to do this from scratch, I'd have to write a name-to-id
            matching system anyway, and I'm not interested in the roll call votes
            just yet.

            Basically, if you could just dump the relavent portion of source on
            me, I've got a lot of free time together and I could get it going. I
            think that would be ideal for both of us, short term.

            What do you think?

            -Bryan

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
              Bryan Helmkamp wrote:
              > Basically, if you could just dump the relavent portion of source on
              > me, I've got a lot of free time together and I could get it going. I
              > think that would be ideal for both of us, short term.

              But maybe a very short term. The next time someone wants to use the
              sources, I don't want to go through the pain of re-explaining how it
              comes together, how to set up the people db, etc. Plus there's no way
              for us to keep our versions in sync as changes are made (including
              changes to the database of people, for instance).

              I guess the thing is that opening up the scripts is a low priority for
              me (sorry), especially if it's just a short-term solution. I would much
              rather enhance my scripts so that all of the original information makes
              it into files downloadable in the data directory, and then you can just
              use that.