GovTrack Updates

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
      Hey, all.

      I thought I'd let you all know of some updates.

      First, I've update the design of GovTrack a bit. Nicer colors. Some
      pages have been made more understandable too.

      I added a new Find Your Reps page using Google Maps to show
      congressional district boundaries. That's linked from the main page
      ("Who represents you?"). That was quite a challenge. District
      boundaries from the census have too many data points to render without
      doing some pre-processing first, especially when showing all of the
      districts in a state. And putting little balloons in each district,
      when the shape of a district can be quite wild, needed another trick.
      But now that it's done, it's pretty neat.

      I also added a new voting records page which compiles a table of voting
      records based on the people and subject terms that you've already
      selected to monitor. It's a bit cumbersome now to get voting records
      for people and subjects you haven't monitored, so I hope to improve that
      in the future.

      The last change isn't about the website but relates to our discussions
      way back on RDF and the semantic web. I updated and expanded my "What
      is RDF" article that I first posted back in March. Anyone new on the
      list interested in proliferating open access to information should take
      a look at that:
      http://taubz.for.net/code/semweb/whatisrdf/

      Take care.

    • Peggy Garvin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
        Josh - Great work as usual.

        Re Who-Reps-You: Yes, tough to map NYC congressional
        districts.
        One suggestion: you could link to the USPS Zip+4
        finder. This would be esp. helpful as part of the
        "The ZIP code you entered is within multiple
        congressional districts" message.

        Thanks for the update,
        Peggy

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2005
          Peggy Garvin wrote:
          > Re Who-Reps-You: Yes, tough to map NYC congressional
          > districts.

          Yeah, I know. I'm not sure how to improve that, though.

          > One suggestion: you could link to the USPS Zip+4
          > finder. This would be esp. helpful as part of the
          > "The ZIP code you entered is within multiple
          > congressional districts" message.

          Good point. Thanks. :)

          So what happened with Thomas's update, do you know? I haven't noticed
          any changes.

        • Peggy Garvin
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2005
            The THOMAS "facelift" is in limbo. Technically done,
            but not approved. I do not have a sense for when or
            whether it will go through.