Re: [govtrack] RDF and Preferred Sources

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
      Scott Beardsley wrote:
      > "John Kerry is a Democrat" vs
      > "According to the CA SoS, John Kerry is a Democrat."
      >
      > in RDF I'd format it as:
      >
      > <John Kerry> <is a> <Democrat> vs
      > <John Kerry> <is a> <Democrat> <CA SoS>

      Hey, Scott.

      The closest thing, as far as I know, is formulas in N3. See the
      Formulae section in http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3.html.

      With that, you could rewrite what you had above as:

      { <John Kerry> <is a> <Democrat> .
      <Bush> <is a> <Republican> .
      } ex:assertedBy <CA Sos> .

      I'm not sure how good an idea it is to use that, though, since I don't
      know how those are handled by existing RDF tools. Redland doesn't
      support it (as far as I can tell).

      My own C# library should handle it ok :)
      (http://taubz.for.net/code/semweb). In that, I'm doing basically what
      you wrote: statements are quads rather than triples, with the last field
      holding some sort of meta node.

      Maybe we should add a page to the GovTrack wiki with things we need from
      the RDF world.

    • Edward Summers
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
        On Sep 7, 2005, at 7:52 AM, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
        > I'm not sure how good an idea it is to use that, though, since I don't
        > know how those are handled by existing RDF tools. Redland doesn't
        > support it (as far as I can tell).

        In case you are looking there are a few utilities listed in the
        implementations section at:

        http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3.html

        > Maybe we should add a page to the GovTrack wiki with things we need
        > from
        > the RDF world.

        Great idea.

        //Ed