RDF and Preferred Sources

  • Scott Beardsley
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2005
      I've been fooling around w/ RDF a bit and I'm hitting
      a wall. Maybe others on the list can help. I'm
      gathering data (facts) from different sources.
      Sometimes these facts may agree and overlap (ie last
      name and first name) and sometimes they may contradict
      each other (ie current address vs previous address).

      What I would really like to do assign a source to each
      fact. For example:

      "John Kerry is a Democrat" vs
      "According to the CA SoS, John Kerry is a Democrat."

      in RDF I'd format it as:

      <John Kerry> <is a> <Democrat> vs
      <John Kerry> <is a> <Democrat> <CA SoS>

      Why would I want to add the last bit of data? Later I
      could assign reliability to each source giving one
      more preference than the other. If I just throw out
      the source information (for each fact) then we'd have
      to go through this whole parsing process again. I
      can't be the only one that wants this... any ideas on
      a workaround using existing methods? I could add a
      fact saying the source is such-and-such for fact#n but
      that would effectively double the number of facts (and
      I'd have to identify each fact somehow).

      Really what I want is a way to maintain an ongoing
      bibliography record for every fact I find.

      Scott

    • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
        Scott Beardsley wrote:
        > "John Kerry is a Democrat" vs
        > "According to the CA SoS, John Kerry is a Democrat."
        >
        > in RDF I'd format it as:
        >
        > <John Kerry> <is a> <Democrat> vs
        > <John Kerry> <is a> <Democrat> <CA SoS>

        Hey, Scott.

        The closest thing, as far as I know, is formulas in N3. See the
        Formulae section in http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3.html.

        With that, you could rewrite what you had above as:

        { <John Kerry> <is a> <Democrat> .
        <Bush> <is a> <Republican> .
        } ex:assertedBy <CA Sos> .

        I'm not sure how good an idea it is to use that, though, since I don't
        know how those are handled by existing RDF tools. Redland doesn't
        support it (as far as I can tell).

        My own C# library should handle it ok :)
        (http://taubz.for.net/code/semweb). In that, I'm doing basically what
        you wrote: statements are quads rather than triples, with the last field
        holding some sort of meta node.

        Maybe we should add a page to the GovTrack wiki with things we need from
        the RDF world.

      • Edward Summers
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
          On Sep 7, 2005, at 7:52 AM, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
          > I'm not sure how good an idea it is to use that, though, since I don't
          > know how those are handled by existing RDF tools. Redland doesn't
          > support it (as far as I can tell).

          In case you are looking there are a few utilities listed in the
          implementations section at:

          http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3.html

          > Maybe we should add a page to the GovTrack wiki with things we need
          > from
          > the RDF world.

          Great idea.

          //Ed