Re: [govtrack] Hello list

  • Ryan Rarick
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
      Hello,

      I'm still around. I haven't done much the past couple months for work
      related reasons. I have just finished moving to another place of employment
      and a long needed vacation. I had made some headway with Virginia Senators
      and Congressmen. I have most their information imported into a Postgres db
      with the exception of dates for some of them. For some, the information is
      quite specific as to election dates, however with others it's vague, but
      I'll make it work. I should be able to get moving again in a couple weeks
      while my wife is on vacation with our son.

      Ryan
    • Scott Beardsley
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
        --- Edward Summers <ehs@...> wrote:
        > Any ideas for
        > interjecting ourselves into these organizations?

        I'd say contact the government agency responsible for
        putting out the data. In Cali it's the Secretary of
        State but in Illinois it looks like the Board of
        Elections[1] is responsible.

        Illinois looks like they are a few steps ahead of
        California as far as uniform formatting. I did a
        little surfing and you can get 7 or so years of
        candidate[2] and election info[3] (in multiple
        formats). Put the two together and you can cross
        reference the names/positions in legislation[4].
        They've even got a dtd for the bill status[5].

        It's a round-a-bout way of getting everything we need
        but I think it's the best approach. Mine data from the
        sources responsible for creating/maintaining that
        data.

        What'dya think?

        Scott
        -----