Re: [govtrack] Hello list

  • Edward Summers
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
      On Sep 1, 2005, at 11:19 AM, Scott Beardsley wrote:
      > I think perhaps the most complete way to get the terms
      > served (and term durations) is to derive it (through
      > election results).

      Hey, that's a good idea :-) I'll see if this gets me a bit further.
      At the moment I've got some scrapers and rdf generators [1] but
      nothing very useful apart the names and addresses are getting parsed
      for senators and representatives.

      I tried contacting the folks at ilga.gov who make the Illinois data
      available via the web, but haven't gotten a response. Would be nice
      to work directly with them rather than scraping. Any ideas for
      interjecting ourselves into these organizations?

      //Ed

      [1] http://www.inkdroid.org:7000/textualize/browser/govtrack-il/trunk/
    • Ryan Rarick
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
        Hello,

        I'm still around. I haven't done much the past couple months for work
        related reasons. I have just finished moving to another place of employment
        and a long needed vacation. I had made some headway with Virginia Senators
        and Congressmen. I have most their information imported into a Postgres db
        with the exception of dates for some of them. For some, the information is
        quite specific as to election dates, however with others it's vague, but
        I'll make it work. I should be able to get moving again in a couple weeks
        while my wife is on vacation with our son.

        Ryan
      • Scott Beardsley
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
          --- Edward Summers <ehs@...> wrote:
          > Any ideas for
          > interjecting ourselves into these organizations?

          I'd say contact the government agency responsible for
          putting out the data. In Cali it's the Secretary of
          State but in Illinois it looks like the Board of
          Elections[1] is responsible.

          Illinois looks like they are a few steps ahead of
          California as far as uniform formatting. I did a
          little surfing and you can get 7 or so years of
          candidate[2] and election info[3] (in multiple
          formats). Put the two together and you can cross
          reference the names/positions in legislation[4].
          They've even got a dtd for the bill status[5].

          It's a round-a-bout way of getting everything we need
          but I think it's the best approach. Mine data from the
          sources responsible for creating/maintaining that
          data.

          What'dya think?

          Scott
          -----