Re: [govtrack] Hello list

  • Scott Beardsley
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
      --- Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:

      > Actually I haven't done much GovTrack-related
      > stuff this summer.

      Me either, the beautiful summer days/evenings seem to
      keep calling me outside.

      > has anyone made any headway in state-level data?

      Last I left things here in Cali I had completed
      xmlizing the CA Statement of the Vote going back six
      years[1]. I was still working on merging this data
      into a master politician list w/ unique ids.

      --- Edward Summers <ehs@...> wrote:

      > I struck out finding the current terms for Illinois
      > reps and senators, and stopped there.

      I think perhaps the most complete way to get the terms
      served (and term durations) is to derive it (through
      election results).

      Scott
      -----
      [1] http://www.pdgov.org/data/US/CA/election/

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Edward Summers
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
        On Sep 1, 2005, at 11:19 AM, Scott Beardsley wrote:
        > I think perhaps the most complete way to get the terms
        > served (and term durations) is to derive it (through
        > election results).

        Hey, that's a good idea :-) I'll see if this gets me a bit further.
        At the moment I've got some scrapers and rdf generators [1] but
        nothing very useful apart the names and addresses are getting parsed
        for senators and representatives.

        I tried contacting the folks at ilga.gov who make the Illinois data
        available via the web, but haven't gotten a response. Would be nice
        to work directly with them rather than scraping. Any ideas for
        interjecting ourselves into these organizations?

        //Ed

        [1] http://www.inkdroid.org:7000/textualize/browser/govtrack-il/trunk/
      • Ryan Rarick
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
          Hello,

          I'm still around. I haven't done much the past couple months for work
          related reasons. I have just finished moving to another place of employment
          and a long needed vacation. I had made some headway with Virginia Senators
          and Congressmen. I have most their information imported into a Postgres db
          with the exception of dates for some of them. For some, the information is
          quite specific as to election dates, however with others it's vague, but
          I'll make it work. I should be able to get moving again in a couple weeks
          while my wife is on vacation with our son.

          Ryan
        • Scott Beardsley
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
            --- Edward Summers <ehs@...> wrote:
            > Any ideas for
            > interjecting ourselves into these organizations?

            I'd say contact the government agency responsible for
            putting out the data. In Cali it's the Secretary of
            State but in Illinois it looks like the Board of
            Elections[1] is responsible.

            Illinois looks like they are a few steps ahead of
            California as far as uniform formatting. I did a
            little surfing and you can get 7 or so years of
            candidate[2] and election info[3] (in multiple
            formats). Put the two together and you can cross
            reference the names/positions in legislation[4].
            They've even got a dtd for the bill status[5].

            It's a round-a-bout way of getting everything we need
            but I think it's the best approach. Mine data from the
            sources responsible for creating/maintaining that
            data.

            What'dya think?

            Scott
            -----