Re: [govtrack] Hello list

  • Edward Summers
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2005
      On Aug 30, 2005, at 8:04 PM, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
      > Actually I haven't done much GovTrack-related stuff this summer. But
      > has anyone made any headway in state-level data? New ideas? New
      > website finds?

      I struck out finding the current terms for Illinois reps and
      senators, and stopped there.

      //Ed
    • Jeremy Dunck
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2005
        On 8/30/05, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us <tauberer@...> wrote:
        > Hey, everyone. The list has been quiet for a while, so I wanted to see
        > what everyone was up to these days. Hopefully no one's lost interest in
        > the whole open access to government information thing. :)

        I haven't lost interest.

        > Actually I haven't done much GovTrack-related stuff this summer. But
        > has anyone made any headway in state-level data? New ideas? New
        > website finds?

        I haven't done anything useful. It's a matter of time.
      • Scott Beardsley
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
          --- Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:

          > Actually I haven't done much GovTrack-related
          > stuff this summer.

          Me either, the beautiful summer days/evenings seem to
          keep calling me outside.

          > has anyone made any headway in state-level data?

          Last I left things here in Cali I had completed
          xmlizing the CA Statement of the Vote going back six
          years[1]. I was still working on merging this data
          into a master politician list w/ unique ids.

          --- Edward Summers <ehs@...> wrote:

          > I struck out finding the current terms for Illinois
          > reps and senators, and stopped there.

          I think perhaps the most complete way to get the terms
          served (and term durations) is to derive it (through
          election results).

          Scott
          -----
          [1] http://www.pdgov.org/data/US/CA/election/

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Edward Summers
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
            On Sep 1, 2005, at 11:19 AM, Scott Beardsley wrote:
            > I think perhaps the most complete way to get the terms
            > served (and term durations) is to derive it (through
            > election results).

            Hey, that's a good idea :-) I'll see if this gets me a bit further.
            At the moment I've got some scrapers and rdf generators [1] but
            nothing very useful apart the names and addresses are getting parsed
            for senators and representatives.

            I tried contacting the folks at ilga.gov who make the Illinois data
            available via the web, but haven't gotten a response. Would be nice
            to work directly with them rather than scraping. Any ideas for
            interjecting ourselves into these organizations?

            //Ed

            [1] http://www.inkdroid.org:7000/textualize/browser/govtrack-il/trunk/
          • Ryan Rarick
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
              Hello,

              I'm still around. I haven't done much the past couple months for work
              related reasons. I have just finished moving to another place of employment
              and a long needed vacation. I had made some headway with Virginia Senators
              and Congressmen. I have most their information imported into a Postgres db
              with the exception of dates for some of them. For some, the information is
              quite specific as to election dates, however with others it's vague, but
              I'll make it work. I should be able to get moving again in a couple weeks
              while my wife is on vacation with our son.

              Ryan
            • Scott Beardsley
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
                --- Edward Summers <ehs@...> wrote:
                > Any ideas for
                > interjecting ourselves into these organizations?

                I'd say contact the government agency responsible for
                putting out the data. In Cali it's the Secretary of
                State but in Illinois it looks like the Board of
                Elections[1] is responsible.

                Illinois looks like they are a few steps ahead of
                California as far as uniform formatting. I did a
                little surfing and you can get 7 or so years of
                candidate[2] and election info[3] (in multiple
                formats). Put the two together and you can cross
                reference the names/positions in legislation[4].
                They've even got a dtd for the bill status[5].

                It's a round-a-bout way of getting everything we need
                but I think it's the best approach. Mine data from the
                sources responsible for creating/maintaining that
                data.

                What'dya think?

                Scott
                -----