Hello list

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30 6:04 PM
      Hey, everyone. The list has been quiet for a while, so I wanted to see
      what everyone was up to these days. Hopefully no one's lost interest in
      the whole open access to government information thing. :)

      Actually I haven't done much GovTrack-related stuff this summer. But
      has anyone made any headway in state-level data? New ideas? New
      website finds?

    • Edward Summers
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30 8:13 PM
        On Aug 30, 2005, at 8:04 PM, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
        > Actually I haven't done much GovTrack-related stuff this summer. But
        > has anyone made any headway in state-level data? New ideas? New
        > website finds?

        I struck out finding the current terms for Illinois reps and
        senators, and stopped there.

        //Ed
      • Jeremy Dunck
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30 8:48 PM
          On 8/30/05, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us <tauberer@...> wrote:
          > Hey, everyone. The list has been quiet for a while, so I wanted to see
          > what everyone was up to these days. Hopefully no one's lost interest in
          > the whole open access to government information thing. :)

          I haven't lost interest.

          > Actually I haven't done much GovTrack-related stuff this summer. But
          > has anyone made any headway in state-level data? New ideas? New
          > website finds?

          I haven't done anything useful. It's a matter of time.
        • Scott Beardsley
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
            --- Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:

            > Actually I haven't done much GovTrack-related
            > stuff this summer.

            Me either, the beautiful summer days/evenings seem to
            keep calling me outside.

            > has anyone made any headway in state-level data?

            Last I left things here in Cali I had completed
            xmlizing the CA Statement of the Vote going back six
            years[1]. I was still working on merging this data
            into a master politician list w/ unique ids.

            --- Edward Summers <ehs@...> wrote:

            > I struck out finding the current terms for Illinois
            > reps and senators, and stopped there.

            I think perhaps the most complete way to get the terms
            served (and term durations) is to derive it (through
            election results).

            Scott
            -----
            [1] http://www.pdgov.org/data/US/CA/election/

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Edward Summers
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
              On Sep 1, 2005, at 11:19 AM, Scott Beardsley wrote:
              > I think perhaps the most complete way to get the terms
              > served (and term durations) is to derive it (through
              > election results).

              Hey, that's a good idea :-) I'll see if this gets me a bit further.
              At the moment I've got some scrapers and rdf generators [1] but
              nothing very useful apart the names and addresses are getting parsed
              for senators and representatives.

              I tried contacting the folks at ilga.gov who make the Illinois data
              available via the web, but haven't gotten a response. Would be nice
              to work directly with them rather than scraping. Any ideas for
              interjecting ourselves into these organizations?

              //Ed

              [1] http://www.inkdroid.org:7000/textualize/browser/govtrack-il/trunk/
            • Ryan Rarick
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2005
                Hello,

                I'm still around. I haven't done much the past couple months for work
                related reasons. I have just finished moving to another place of employment
                and a long needed vacation. I had made some headway with Virginia Senators
                and Congressmen. I have most their information imported into a Postgres db
                with the exception of dates for some of them. For some, the information is
                quite specific as to election dates, however with others it's vague, but
                I'll make it work. I should be able to get moving again in a couple weeks
                while my wife is on vacation with our son.

                Ryan
              • Scott Beardsley
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
                  --- Edward Summers <ehs@...> wrote:
                  > Any ideas for
                  > interjecting ourselves into these organizations?

                  I'd say contact the government agency responsible for
                  putting out the data. In Cali it's the Secretary of
                  State but in Illinois it looks like the Board of
                  Elections[1] is responsible.

                  Illinois looks like they are a few steps ahead of
                  California as far as uniform formatting. I did a
                  little surfing and you can get 7 or so years of
                  candidate[2] and election info[3] (in multiple
                  formats). Put the two together and you can cross
                  reference the names/positions in legislation[4].
                  They've even got a dtd for the bill status[5].

                  It's a round-a-bout way of getting everything we need
                  but I think it's the best approach. Mine data from the
                  sources responsible for creating/maintaining that
                  data.

                  What'dya think?

                  Scott
                  -----