Political Spectrum of Bill Categories

  • RMunsonNJ
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2005
      Just wondering if it is possible to have a "political spectrum" type
      chart of bill categories. This might show that bills on abortion
      are "close" to bills on religion, trade "close" to taxes, etc. I'm
      free to ask such a question because I know absolutely nothing about
      the math! I think such a chart would show some insight into American
      politics.

      I wonder what pork barrel is "close" to?
    • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2005
        RMunsonNJ wrote:
        > Just wondering if it is possible to have a "political spectrum" type
        > chart of bill categories.

        I think that's possible with the same system that I use for the regular
        spectrum, but with over 4000 subject terms it would be pretty hard to
        display the result usefully. (Also I don't think I'm going to get
        around to trying this for a while.)

        Neal McBurnett wrote:
        > Thanks - looks like a good metric. How often is it
        > calculated/updated? Does it only look at items dated recently?

        Twice daily (if Technorati is working right, which it's sometimes not),
        and yes only the 50 or 100 (I forget) most recent blog entries
        mentioning bills.

        > Is there a way to get more than the
        > top four, and to preserve at least some of the data for future
        > reference?

        You're asking for too much. :)