Re: [govtrack] Metric on Bill Importance

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10 9:06 AM
      To return to the idea of bill metrics for a moment:

      On the front page of GovTrack I've changed the 'Hot Legislation' list.
      Recently it had been listing the bills that were monitored by the most
      number of people.

      It now is using Technorati. It's a list of bills mentioned by people in
      their blogs (provided they linked to the bill at either Thomas or
      GovTrack), ordered by... this is a mouthful... the total number of blogs
      linking to to the blog entries that linked to the bill. So, when an
      'important' blog mentions a bill, the bill is given a higher listing in
      my list, because 'important' blogs have more inbound links.

      (See: http://beta.technorati.com/search/thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery)

    • Neal McBurnett
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11 10:18 AM
        On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:06:59PM -0400, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us wrote:
        > On the front page of GovTrack I've changed the 'Hot Legislation' list.
        > Recently it had been listing the bills that were monitored by the most
        > number of people.
        >
        > It now is using Technorati. It's a list of bills mentioned by people in
        > their blogs (provided they linked to the bill at either Thomas or
        > GovTrack), ordered by... this is a mouthful... the total number of blogs
        > linking to to the blog entries that linked to the bill. So, when an
        > 'important' blog mentions a bill, the bill is given a higher listing in
        > my list, because 'important' blogs have more inbound links.
        >
        > (See: http://beta.technorati.com/search/thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery)

        Thanks - looks like a good metric. How often is it
        calculated/updated? Does it only look at items dated recently?

        I only see the top four listed at govtrack, without a clarification
        there on how they were selected. Is there a way to get more than the
        top four, and to preserve at least some of the data for future
        reference? "Top-twenty, week-by week", or "bills that hit the top 50,
        with an indication of when and where they peaked"?

        Cheers,

        Neal McBurnett http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
        Signed and/or sealed mail encouraged. GPG/PGP Keyid: 2C9EBA60
      • Neal McBurnett
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11 10:30 AM
          It might make sense to have separate "hot" lists for enacted
          legislation vs legislation-in-progress, or
          legislation-to-be-voted-on-soon (not sure how easy that last one is).

          A link from each bill to a technorati search for it would also be
          nice, and tie into this metric.

          -Neal