Re: [govtrack] What's wrong w/ gov data publishing

  • Scott Beardsley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2005
      Excellent, thanks for the links! I've moved the page
      to the new wiki[1] and I've also added these links to
      the page.

      I think as we get closer to understanding just what's
      available we should be in a good position to make
      demands on our government. As others begin development
      they should keep an eye out for trouble areas and add
      them to this page for later referencing.

      Josh - good call, it's a much more intuitive wiki.

      Scott
      -----
      [1] http://www.govtrack.us/dev/node/9

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
    • Ed Summers
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2005
        On Jun 9, 2005, at 1:27 PM, Scott Beardsley wrote:
        > Generally, I'm against PDF and for XML-esque (HTML/XML
        > works but RDF is probably best).

        This will probably sound vague but i think the main thing is that the
        data has semantic and not stylistic markup so that it can be repurposed
        as needed. So you would want:

        <name>Scott Beardsley</name>

        instead of:

        I agree that PDF would be the wrong choice. PDF is totally stylistic
        and is very hard to repurpose. It's great for printing out a page
        though. The trick is getting people to author documents by marking up
        semantics, or building the infrastructure to support it.

        But at the end of the day, any publicly available electronic data is an
        improvement imho, so keep up the good work :-)

        //Ed