RE: [govtrack] Privacy and candidates

  • Scott Beardsley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
      > These people put themself in the
      > public eye and knew the information was public.

      That's exactly how I see things too.

      Josh's initial scepticism is very healthy. Discussion
      about these issues is critical and should be
      encouraged. I don't want to be the person putting
      innocent citizens personal data online either. On the
      other hand, anonymity in the political process opens
      it up to abuse. Translucency is always the best policy
      IMO. I think we need to rise above the political games
      and do what is right. Is it right to publish a
      contributors home address/telephone (in the case of
      FEC records)? Maybe not, but I think it *is* fair to
      publish the fact that the contribution occured (and
      some other details like names, amounts, districts,
      etc).

      As far as privacy advocates/watchdog groups goes... I
      agree, we are in our infancy and it would unwise to
      put too much data out pushing the privacy issue to the
      forefront. In the case of FEC contributors we might
      want to tread lightly for a bit.

      > Scott's efforts to make it more readily accessible

      I should note that Josh (govtrack.us) and Scott Lay
      (aroundthecapitol.com) both have already made many
      more contributions to this cause than me. I'm just
      hoping to catch up to them.

      > They are inspiring me to work for easier access

      This is great news! I think working within the system
      is necessary until we reach a critical mass.

      Scott

      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/