Re: [govtrack] Personal Democracy Forum

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
    Message 1 of 12 , May 20, 2005
      Ed Summers wrote:
      > How about irc://irc.freenode.net/govtrack for more interactivity.

      Do you mean as a general hang-out place or a place to have some sort of
      meeting/conference from time to time? I know I wouldn't end up in there
      without a specific call for meeting -- it's just too distracting for me
      to idle on IRC. But, as for a place for a meeting, I think that's a
      good idea, if we want to do that.

    • Ed Summers
      Message 2 of 12 , May 20, 2005
        > Do you mean as a general hang-out place or a place to have some sort of
        > meeting/conference from time to time? I know I wouldn't end up in
        > there
        > without a specific call for meeting -- it's just too distracting for me
        > to idle on IRC. But, as for a place for a meeting, I think that's a
        > good idea, if we want to do that.

        either/or -- irc is a valuable collaboration tool for programmer types
        who aren't afraid of text, which is sometimes overlooked. It can be a
        time sink however.

        A good thing about having an irc hangout place is that people can ask
        questions and brain storm when they feel like it in real time.Then when
        the time comes for a meeting people who have dropped in once or twice
        know how to connect and set up a client etc...

        I've found conversations in irc are much easier to follow than email
        discussions which is sometimes like having a long distance conversation
        over a bad line. irc logs can be archived and indexed as well.

        //Ed