Re: [govtrack] Personal Democracy Forum

  • Ed Summers
    Message 1 of 12 , May 18, 2005
      > That's a thought. I was in fact thinking about setting up a small,
      > real-world conference at some point. But, at the moment I'm really
      > waiting for there to be other related, semi-complete projects besides
      > GovTrack for us to talk about.

      How about irc://irc.freenode.net/govtrack for more interactivity.

      //Ed
    • Jeremy Dunck
      Message 2 of 12 , May 19, 2005
        On 5/18/05, TML <tlinder@...> wrote:
        > Yeh, but that assumes that internet interaction fulfills everything
        > face-to-face interaction does. It'll be a long while (and a lot of
        > bandwidth!) before the airports start closing.

        Agree, but I hear this is pretty good:
        https://www.gotomeeting.com/

        Certainly cheaper than dragging your bones across the country.
      • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
        Message 3 of 12 , May 20, 2005
          Ed Summers wrote:
          > How about irc://irc.freenode.net/govtrack for more interactivity.

          Do you mean as a general hang-out place or a place to have some sort of
          meeting/conference from time to time? I know I wouldn't end up in there
          without a specific call for meeting -- it's just too distracting for me
          to idle on IRC. But, as for a place for a meeting, I think that's a
          good idea, if we want to do that.

        • Ed Summers
          Message 4 of 12 , May 20, 2005
            > Do you mean as a general hang-out place or a place to have some sort of
            > meeting/conference from time to time? I know I wouldn't end up in
            > there
            > without a specific call for meeting -- it's just too distracting for me
            > to idle on IRC. But, as for a place for a meeting, I think that's a
            > good idea, if we want to do that.

            either/or -- irc is a valuable collaboration tool for programmer types
            who aren't afraid of text, which is sometimes overlooked. It can be a
            time sink however.

            A good thing about having an irc hangout place is that people can ask
            questions and brain storm when they feel like it in real time.Then when
            the time comes for a meeting people who have dropped in once or twice
            know how to connect and set up a client etc...

            I've found conversations in irc are much easier to follow than email
            discussions which is sometimes like having a long distance conversation
            over a bad line. irc logs can be archived and indexed as well.

            //Ed