Re: [govtrack] Personal Democracy Forum

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
    Message 1 of 12 , May 18, 2005
      TML wrote:
      > the double-speak that constitutes much of public policy and
      > utterances these days is almost an advertisement for it's efficacy.

      Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that there was double-speak on
      Monday, but in general, yeah.

      John DeBruyn wrote:
      > I have been amused, ever since the internet got its wings, about the
      > propensity of almost every group that takes to the internet to fall back
      > on the face-to-face conference rather than trying to accommodate
      > a corresponding online which would embrace the internet to take full
      > advantage asynchronous 24/7 communication and the everywhereness of the
      > internet as a venue.

      Well, there's something nice about meeting people face to face, and
      staging a real world event.

      > Perhaps the Gov Track group that congregates here to track with what new
      > and in the works for Gov Track and collaborate with you in the
      > development of Gov Track could brainstorm the prospects for holding an
      > online conference of the sort you were looking for when you journeyed to
      > NYC.

      That's a thought. I was in fact thinking about setting up a small,
      real-world conference at some point. But, at the moment I'm really
      waiting for there to be other related, semi-complete projects besides
      GovTrack for us to talk about.

    • Ed Summers
      Message 2 of 12 , May 18, 2005
        > That's a thought. I was in fact thinking about setting up a small,
        > real-world conference at some point. But, at the moment I'm really
        > waiting for there to be other related, semi-complete projects besides
        > GovTrack for us to talk about.

        How about irc://irc.freenode.net/govtrack for more interactivity.

        //Ed
      • Jeremy Dunck
        Message 3 of 12 , May 19, 2005
          On 5/18/05, TML <tlinder@...> wrote:
          > Yeh, but that assumes that internet interaction fulfills everything
          > face-to-face interaction does. It'll be a long while (and a lot of
          > bandwidth!) before the airports start closing.

          Agree, but I hear this is pretty good:
          https://www.gotomeeting.com/

          Certainly cheaper than dragging your bones across the country.
        • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
          Message 4 of 12 , May 20, 2005
            Ed Summers wrote:
            > How about irc://irc.freenode.net/govtrack for more interactivity.

            Do you mean as a general hang-out place or a place to have some sort of
            meeting/conference from time to time? I know I wouldn't end up in there
            without a specific call for meeting -- it's just too distracting for me
            to idle on IRC. But, as for a place for a meeting, I think that's a
            good idea, if we want to do that.

          • Ed Summers
            Message 5 of 12 , May 20, 2005
              > Do you mean as a general hang-out place or a place to have some sort of
              > meeting/conference from time to time? I know I wouldn't end up in
              > there
              > without a specific call for meeting -- it's just too distracting for me
              > to idle on IRC. But, as for a place for a meeting, I think that's a
              > good idea, if we want to do that.

              either/or -- irc is a valuable collaboration tool for programmer types
              who aren't afraid of text, which is sometimes overlooked. It can be a
              time sink however.

              A good thing about having an irc hangout place is that people can ask
              questions and brain storm when they feel like it in real time.Then when
              the time comes for a meeting people who have dropped in once or twice
              know how to connect and set up a client etc...

              I've found conversations in irc are much easier to follow than email
              discussions which is sometimes like having a long distance conversation
              over a bad line. irc logs can be archived and indexed as well.

              //Ed