Socio-economic implications of open government

  • Ben C
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2013
      I've recently published an article that I thought would be of interest to this group.

      It is titled: Coproduction of Government Services and the New Information Technology: Investigating the Distributional Biases

      Abstract: This article investigates how communications advances affect citizens' ability to participate in coproduction of government services. The authors analyze service requests made to the City of Boston during a one-year period from 2010 to 2011 and, using geospatial analysis and negative binomial regression, investigate possible disparities by race, education, and income in making service requests. The findings reveal little concern that 311 systems (nonemergency call centers) may benefit one racial group over another; however, there is some indication that Hispanics may use these systems less as requests move from call centers to the Internet and smartphones. Consistent with prior research, the findings show that poorer neighborhoods are less likely to take advantage of 311 service, with the notable exception of smartphone utilization. The implications for citizen participation in coproduction and bridging the digital divide are discussed.

      You can find the abstract and link to article here:
      http://bit.ly/coproduction_par

      Most of you probably don't have access to journal articles without having to pay for them, so just shoot me an email (b.y.clark@...) and I can send you a copy if you are interested. I cannot post the article online without risking getting in trouble with the publisher.

      All best,
      Ben Clark

      Benjamin Y. Clark, PhD
      Assistant Professor of Public Administration
      Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs
      Cleveland State University

      Executive Committee Member (term 2013-2015)
      Association for Budgeting and Financial Management (ABFM)
      http://www.abfm.org

      Mailing Address:
      2121 Euclid Avenue, UR 312
      Cleveland, OH 44115